Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Rebuilding an 821 is EMOTIONAL

<< < (12/12)

dakazman:
Congrats Skippy,  :trophy:
    Thanks for posting more vendor options for us to bring these engines back to life.
Dakazman

TonyWa28:
Folks,
I'm relatively new to the Europa board but I am a longtime Elan and Europa guy (since the late 70s).  I have lots of twink experience, but I am working on my first Renault powered Europa (S2/1565cc 821-30).  I need some info on valve guides.  The car I started with had what appear to be bronze silicone guides which were well worn.  The bronze ones also had a shoulder on them. I chased down some R16 guides that appear to be cast iron, but are longer than the bronze ones I removed and have no shoulder.  Can someone give me the material, dimensions and description of the correct stock valve guides?

The ones I obtained are:

13.14 x 7.95 x 49mm  The O.D. and I.D match the ones that came with the car, but the length is different 45mm for bronze ones.

pardon my crude diagram.  Thanks!  TonyWa

jbcollier:
There are lots of debates about whether bronze or cast iron make the best guides.  As long as the guides are good, I don't worry too much about it.  Originally crossflow engines came without valve seals.  Fitting them is a good idea.  Your machinist will have to machine the "left" side of the new guide to suit.  All pretty straight forward work.

TonyWa28:
JB,
Thanks for the reply and I apologize for hijacking the thread.  The important remaining question was the length of the old guide vs. new.

TonyWa
69 Elan
69 Europa
60 Bugeye
72 Suzuki Titan 500
.... and a cast of thousands.....

jbcollier:
It will probably have to be shortened to allow space for the valve seal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version