Author Topic: TCS Federal Timing  (Read 193 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
TCS Federal Timing
« on: Sunday,May 01, 2022, 04:51:26 AM »
Finally got the new dizzy and .6 ohm hot coil installed and plumbed in.  But...while it fires right up without a lot of cranking (like rr-rr-run!), I'm still searching for that sweet spot of balancing timing against the stromberg carbs w/european needles. 

So...assuming that the car runs ok (it does...carbs balanced mostly (ok, not 100% exact, but close enough for now)), I've heard all sorts of numbers for the timing.  For instance, the emission plate in the engine room says 5 BTDC static, TDC at idle (Pertronix-II can't be set by static...); some folks have advocated 10-15 degrees at idle (I'm set right now at 12 or so...), but, it settles in at 1400-1500 rpm as the idle.  Now, that's too fast, I know.  Throttle response is good (I have 2 oil leaks as well  to take care of: the drain tube on the carb side, and it looks like the oil pan at the front left is going to need either checking that it's actually bolted down, or drop the exhaust and pan, re-seal with new gaskets and reinistall) before I can take on the road.

So...knowing the above, any suggestions?  Change back to the US spec needles and reset the carbs?  Follow the emission plate and decrease advance? 

Thoughts?  Thanks, always, in advance.

Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.