Author Topic: rebuilding the chassis on a S2  (Read 345 times)

Offline 1970S2

• LOTUS EUROPA COMMUNITY
rebuilding the chassis on a S2
« on: Tuesday,December 07, 2021, 10:29:17 PM »
My chassis was a disaster, from a bent frame up front from an accident , to cracks up front, some rot, lots of cracks in the rear section and a cut rear suspension support to accommodate a header for a Renault Alpine , I was not impressed......I decided to do a complete overlay of 10 gauge metal over the entire chassis, Before some of you get your nose bent out of shape for the extra weight, I want to remind you that I am going from a 70 HP engine to a 135HP engine that will more than make up for the extra weight, I can guarantee that it will not twist or bend , you can install a small block Chevy and not have to worry with my repair/upgrade......No I'm not spending $15,000 for a Spyder chassis , I'll make do with what I  have  and work from there, I rebuilt all the control arms with new bushings, all new front suspension components, brake hoses, and waiting for my  custom fit lines from the UK , adapted a new aluminum swirl pot for $40.00 added some fittings to make it work, also I am bending all new aluminum coolant lines 1 1/4 inch from Princess Auto $60.00 in material, all the hoses will be high temp silicon, all new adjustable gas shocks from  Gaz in the UK , I will next rebuild the transmission , set  it all up then concentrate on the 1.6 Gordini  Hemi Engine, I bought original Gordini rods, the wrist pin will need to be machined to accommodate the 21mm full floating pins, I am machining the silicon bronze bushing later this week, the new pistons are 78mm  Wiesco forged 10.5 to 1 ,  liners have been rebored,  the head will need to be clearanced for the pistons, the cam is reground to Street Perf spec, new high volume oil pump, new chain, tensioner , all new bearings, crank micro polished, new clutch,  flywheel will be lightened by 5 lbs, twin side draft 40mm webbers, this will be this winters project....enjoy the photos
« Last Edit: Tuesday,December 07, 2021, 10:36:09 PM by 1970S2 »

Offline BDA

Re: rebuilding the chassis on a S2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,December 07, 2021, 11:10:23 PM »
That’s an interesting solution to your frame problems as well as interesting plans for your motor! I hope you’ll keep us informed of your progress!