Author Topic: Balsa Wood  (Read 1140 times)

Offline cal44

Balsa Wood
« on: Thursday,December 13, 2012, 05:09:09 AM »
I went over the fiberglass store (or is that glassfiber for our U.K friends) as I needed some supplies to repair some less that stellar fixes by the prior owners. 

These repairs are on the bottom jack points as, I think, I posted before in another ramble of senseless words coming from my fingers.

The pictures  are a little item I picked up.  Balsa wood squares held together with fiberglass mat.  They conform to the shape of the car or boat that is being worked on.  I will be enforcing the rear points after I remove the old material also to include the indentation at the jack point.  Perhaps this has been around for some time............I don't get out much.
Mike

« Last Edit: Saturday,January 12, 2013, 03:39:06 PM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Balsa Wood
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,December 13, 2012, 08:15:57 AM »
Interesting stuff, Mike. Never seen this stuff before. I'll be interested to see how it works out when applied.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #2 on: Friday,January 11, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
This is balsa wood core used in the yachting industry on Fiberglas decks.  It stiffens the deck while keeping it all very light.

What you're using it for is very ingenious.

Bruce
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,January 12, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
Well.......since you (Bruce) brought this back up I will write a little bit more.  First off I should have taken pictures.  I will when I do the other side.  I made an "L" with the blocks, two deep, three high and three wide.  Glass them all together, looks like a tiny chair with no legs.

The biggest issue is when people do not clean/sand the old glass and rough it up.  Anyway, I am fixing the PO/s screw ups.

Materials are:

General laminating resin
Fiberglass Matting
6oz fiberglass cloth

Matting is great for flat and slightly curved areas but crap on sharp corners and sharp angles.
That is where the 6oz cloth comes in as a build up base.  I use the mat for the final layer to match the original build of the car.
More to come. 
Mike
« Last Edit: Saturday,January 12, 2013, 03:41:21 PM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,January 15, 2013, 12:57:10 AM »
Looking forward to it Mike.  I was planning on applying 2 part foam to the body and sculpting that.  Knowing me, I'll screw it up, and being fearfull of becoming a dpo, end up passing it off to a professional for finishing.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.