Author Topic: Car update  (Read 399 times)

Offline Tony Shep

Car update
« on: Monday,March 14, 2022, 04:15:18 AM »
Hi

Not posted on here for a while so I thought I'd give an update on my car

I use it most days, only live a few miles from work and it's more fun than my diesel daily driver!

I had some issues with the starter, which turned out to be a poor earth from a cut off switch on the negative battery cable that had been fitted by a PO. That got bypassed and in the process, also fitted a relay to get 12V to the starter, a worthwhile upgrade
Also treated the car to a new battery (original battery was 'cheap') then got into charging problems which came down to voltage regulator, these are about £30 plus tax and shipping from the usual suspects, but found one for £10 at a local auto electrical suppliers (they had 4 in stock) and the guy who sold it to me told me he remembers George Best driving around Manchester in his Europa!

Car was running OK, but had some more carb work planned, to get the chokes on the weber DCD down from 26/27 to 25/26, based on some info I got a while back, to improve low end power
So I gave it a good looking at yesterday, valve clearances, points, plugs, all good, did the carb work and found the little spring retaining clip in the aux venturi was missing, but it was in there fairly solid, fortunately
Put it all back together and took it for a spin, it definitely worked, but then started to loose power and was only able to get home with some choke on
Yes, the aux venturi had moved so it no longer lined up with the channel in the carb. It was fairly solid before I removed it, but now it's too loose, so after about 1/4 mile it moved, doh!

So new part is ordered and should arrive tomorrow so car will be back running very soon

Got a knock on the right side front end, that has got gradually worse, so going to take a look at that tonight
I've got some AVO front shocks to fit, so might do that as well, depending on time, how long does it take to change them, without any problems?
Also curious as to what settings people are using on these

Cheers

Tony (from a very sunny Manchester)
« Last Edit: Monday,March 14, 2022, 04:16:54 AM by Tony Shep »

Offline jbcollier

Re: Car update
« Reply #1 on: Monday,March 14, 2022, 06:02:56 AM »
Bell mouths or the air filter secure the main and aux venturis in place.  Yes the spring locates it in the bore but it needs to be secured by clamping pressure.

Offline Tony Shep

« Reply #2 on: Monday,March 14, 2022, 08:15:44 AM »
Its the top cover of the carb that holds them in place, can still rotate without the retaining clip, that's it's purpose in life, keep it in position
It had moved when I took the top off of the carb'

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #3 on: Monday,March 14, 2022, 03:03:15 PM »
George Best in his Europa