Author Topic: Europa S1A 46/0320  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Hachille

Re: Europa S1A 46/0320
« Reply #15 on: Monday,July 18, 2022, 11:58:01 AM »
Congratulation.

I too have an S1. I loved the years of refit. Serge's videos are good sources of inspiration. And now every weekend I always take as much pleasure driving on the roads of the south west of France, at the foot of the Pyrenees.

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #16 on: Monday,July 18, 2022, 12:06:51 PM »
Congratulation from me too. I wish you a good start with the new project. Finding some original push button doors can be difficult.
Beste Grüße aus der Nähe von Köln,

Klaus

Offline 46/0320

« Reply #17 on: Monday,July 18, 2022, 11:22:02 PM »
Thanks to all of you.

On my shopping list, the doors are already pretty high up. But at least I got the windows for them with the car and I saw the door shells at lotus-supplies.
But if someone has used doors for me I wouldn't say no  ;)
'55 Lotus Mk VI
'58 Triumph TR3A
'67 Lotus Europa S1A

Offline 46/0320

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,December 08, 2022, 09:26:55 AM »
Few months past now since I posted for the first time here.
Now it's winter, the car is still sitting and waiting, I am still studying... no update so far.

What is new is that I am currently thinking of replacing my Elise by an early Elan next year.
I feel I am in love with the Lotuses out of the 50s and 60s and not that much with the newer ones (and new cars in general) anymore.
In my opinion, the Europa and the Elan would complement each other perfectly in the garage once the Europa is finished.

How do you think about that? The Elise is great fun to drive, but I'm looking for a more classic car and the Elan is undoubtedly a legend.
'55 Lotus Mk VI
'58 Triumph TR3A
'67 Lotus Europa S1A

Online BDA

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,December 08, 2022, 10:13:52 AM »
I hear a lot of people love their Elise. I've never driven or even ridden in one but I have no trouble believing they are a blast. I have gotten in one with the hard top on and it was much more difficult to get in than my Europa. It took me a while to warm up to the styling of the Elise but to me, it is the last of the Chapman ("Simplify and add lightness") inspired cars.

For that boy-racer experience, there is nothing like a Europa anywhere near that price range. It also makes a very good platform for modifications.

When I bought my Europa, Elans bored me. I heard they had great handling but the Europa had that so why would I want such a pedestrian appearing car? I was also not a big fan of convertibles. As I got older, I came to appreciate Elans more (partially the ease of getting in and out!). I would love to have a good Elan now! I would also want a convertible as I would get a better view of everything. The local MG club does a tour in the Appalachian Mountains every fall. An Elan would be a much better car for that.

I think if you have to pick only two, I would agree that the Elan and Europa would be the two.

Offline 46/0320

« Reply #20 on: Thursday,December 08, 2022, 11:34:24 AM »
Getting in and out of the Elise isn't easy, especially with the roof on, you are right.
I understand your point, compared to an Europa, the Elan is styled differently (/"boring"). But that's something I also like about the Elan.

What I want to add here is that even though the Elise is a convertible you are pretty much covered all around. The doors are reaching high up, there is a roll bar and a glass behind your head and the windshield is almost covering half the interior. Despite having a convertible with great handling I am not not feeling like "being out there".

I am not sure, but the longer I think about it, the more I like the tiny Elan  ;)

And above that I would have the TC engine in it  :D
'55 Lotus Mk VI
'58 Triumph TR3A
'67 Lotus Europa S1A

Online BDA

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,December 08, 2022, 11:57:19 AM »
I should have said that the Elan's "boring" appearance was a thought long ago but I've come to really appreciate it now! It really is classic in its simplicity!

The Elise is certainly safer than the Elan or Europa!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #22 on: Friday,December 09, 2022, 11:44:58 AM »
An Elan would make an excellent companion for the Europa. I like the Elise, especially the S1, but having said that, there really are very few cars made in the last 30 years or so that deeply interest me. Especially true of the big horsepower, wide tire, modern exotica, which always leaves me a bit cold. I've always liked the Elan, and since I've been a Lotus owner for the last 13 years, I've become more keenly aware of them, and developed a deeper appreciation of them. I like coupes, so my Elan would probably have a roof, but that's just me. Either way, there is something about the Europa and the Elan that makes them a perfect pairing. Like two gorgeous sisters; quite different from each other, but difficult to choose which one you are going to ask to the prom.

If I am ever so fortunate as to park a second Lotus in the garage, I think it would be a Seven. Another sister, not quite as beautiful as the other two, but if you take her to the prom, she'll go skinny dipping with you out at the lake afterwards.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Online BDA

« Reply #23 on: Friday,December 09, 2022, 12:00:27 PM »
... Another sister, not quite as beautiful as the other two, but if you take her to the prom, she'll go skinny dipping with you out at the lake afterwards.
Well said! I like the imagery! They are worthless for anything but driving fun and for that, they are in a world of their own!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #24 on: Friday,December 09, 2022, 12:00:40 PM »
Note to self, watch Trevor around my sisters!

I agree about the fat tire, fat power cars.  They are indeed faster but they are plain boring to drive on the street and highways.  Give me a slow car with skinny tires and I can drive flat out and still stay (almost) legal.  Just bought tires for my, new-to-me, '69 Seven; 165/80R13s.  Should be a hoot.

Online BDA

« Reply #25 on: Friday,December 09, 2022, 12:48:26 PM »
I've driven a buddy's Caterham. It has wider tires that that. I'm here to tell you that any tires on a Seven are a hoot!  :)

Offline 46/0320

« Reply #26 on: Friday,December 09, 2022, 02:58:34 PM »
I remember well the first time I got a deeper insight into the history of Lotus. I was about 14 and got two books. One was about Lotus in general, the other about the Lotus (and Caterham) Seven. I read through both books several times.
Since then I've been interested in different cars, especially British cars, but also French and - as a German - Porsche. On the other hand, I have never been particularly interested in Italian or American cars. In the end I ended up with Lotus again  ;)

If money were no object, my first choice would always be the Elite Mk14. What a stunning design - I saw one at the Autostadt in Wolfsburg - one of the most beautiful designs ever made. But right now a car like that is out of reach, and instead of just having an Elite, I'd love to have one to complement the others.  ;D Besides a Mk6, Seven, Eleven, Elan, Europa, ... ::)
'55 Lotus Mk VI
'58 Triumph TR3A
'67 Lotus Europa S1A

Offline Tony2ta2004

« Reply #27 on: Thursday,January 05, 2023, 09:34:38 PM »
Hi Rafael,
Picture of the day #46/320 was picked up. Both of the S1A, 74 Elite and 78 Esprit were ready journey to France on Sept. 2019.

Offline 46/0320

« Reply #28 on: Saturday,August 05, 2023, 01:02:28 PM »
I can only assume that the Europa is a little jealous as it still needs a full restoration and cannot be driven on the road.
The Elise is now gone and has been replaced by a Mk VI. Loved to drive the Elise, but the Mk VI is such an important car in the companies history. Actually my Mk VI is most likely the oldest Lotus in Germany.
'55 Lotus Mk VI
'58 Triumph TR3A
'67 Lotus Europa S1A

Online BDA

« Reply #29 on: Saturday,August 05, 2023, 02:12:26 PM »
You’ll need to get to work on the Europa so she won’t be lonely!