Author Topic: 70 S2 0044Q  (Read 26774 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 70 S2 0044Q
« Reply #435 on: Saturday,July 16, 2022, 11:33:11 AM »
It looks great! Did your snorkel make a difference in your coolant temps?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #436 on: Saturday,July 16, 2022, 01:41:15 PM »
10° lower !!!

Frankly, wonderful!  Please explain about the vent covers, thanks.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #437 on: Saturday,July 16, 2022, 02:39:31 PM »
Vent covers are made of the same material as my rear screen. 1/8' perforated aluminum cut to sit close to the top of the existing vent holes, edges protected with many coates of Plastidip and held in by small aluminum bars on the under side using SS screws and nylock bolts.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #438 on: Saturday,July 16, 2022, 02:51:25 PM »
The engine heat gauge has shown reduced temps on the short trips I have done. It would be nice to test with a remote air temp sensor and air pressure monitor. I need to do a longer road run at summer temperatures to confirm both reduced temps and increased fuel economy. Speed tested to 120 kmph+, no issues. I am also hoping it will keep some of the road dust out of the air filter.

Offline BDA

« Reply #439 on: Saturday,July 16, 2022, 04:52:23 PM »
It seems like a very promising modification!  :beerchug:

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #440 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2022, 07:23:23 AM »
     I had a great weekend in the Europa. I drove to Guelph on Saturday to visit Bud and his '74 big valve 5 speed, what a great survivor (210 00 original miles). His engine and trans were out for rebuilds (engine not turning). I tried not to get any drool on his beautifully restored  Bug Eyed Sprint. I hope Bud can show us his fix for how he has overcome the lack of transmission and still being able to roll the car. Sunday I took the Europa to Barrie to watch a friend autocross his BMW. It was lots of fun and if i can borrow a helmet I may try it soon.
    I think that sitting for 44 years introduced some rust into the transmission. On the return home from Barrie I started to hear a grinding noise that fluctuated in accordance with the road speed. Think it is a output shaft bearing. I changed the transmission oil. It was rust coloured! Bearing noise did not go away. I now know what I am doing this winter. I will source all the bearings and bushings from the usual suspects and do a refresh.
Sandy

Offline BDA

« Reply #441 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2022, 07:49:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about your bearings, but that will keep you off the streets this winter!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #442 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2022, 08:49:17 AM »
Sorry to hear about the trans woes, but sounds like a great weekend of cruising, Europa style.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #443 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2022, 03:12:30 PM »
Carefully support the rear wheels off the ground.  Make sure it is stable!  Start and run the car and then go underneath with a long screwdriver.  Tip on various parts and and the handle in your ear.  That will help isolate where the noise is coming from.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #444 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2022, 04:40:41 PM »
John, thanks for the advice. I will do that first.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #445 on: Sunday,July 16, 2023, 09:32:17 AM »
Procrastination! Well friends its time to come clean. I have had the transmission out and sitting on my work bench for 6 months. A fear of screwing it up and a lack of proper pressing equipment has stalled me. My resent trip has cured that. My partner has been doing contract nursing in the Canadian arctic. Her latest stint in Cambridge Bay, Nunavut just ended and I drove to her first transfer location which is Yellowknife, North West Territorys to pick her up. 4,764 kms one way. Knowing of 3 Europa owners on my way out I contacted them and arranged visits.
   My first visit was with GaryT in High River, Alberta. Awesome car, (sorry about the distributor problem). Gary invited me to visit his other baby, the De Havilland Mosquito at the amazing Bomber Museum in Nanton. Absolutely blown away by the restoration process.
   My next visit was with Blitzen AKA. Don in Calgary. A nearly finished Big Valve 5 speed. If we can just convince him to get off the Ducati and pull some wrenches it will shine.
   My last visit in Alberta was with JBCollier AKA John. The fit and finish of this S1 would make Colin blush.
I love it when serendipity happens. While waiting for my lovely to prep for the days drive I just happened to look on Kijiji for Europas for sale in Canada. Up popped Roberts '70 Europa in Winnipeg. A few emails and I had the privilege of seeing this Gordini powered beauty.
   These visits and the funeral of a good friend of mine have rekindled my desire to get my baby back on the road.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #446 on: Sunday,July 16, 2023, 12:44:15 PM »
It was a pleasure to have you over.  Sorry the Europa wasn’t running (oh the shame).  Toasted battery because I let it get flat over winter as I was supposed to work on it.  That time got swallowed by other projects, sigh.  Next time you can take it for a ride!

Offline BDA

« Reply #447 on: Sunday,July 16, 2023, 08:28:48 PM »
Canada has some very talented people! But I knew that!

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #448 on: Thursday,April 25, 2024, 08:54:40 AM »
Greetings fellow Europafiles. I'm back after a winter of car procrastinations. Early March I finally put on my Big Boy pants and put the transmission back together. Ski Patrolling was good given the warm, low snow winter. On the last day the resort was open, March 30, had my only fall of the year. It was a big one. Broke my right collar bone. I was planning to install the tranny the next day! No shifting for me for a while.
On the plus side my brother and I are heading to the UK, our first time out of North America. 3 weeks, late June to mid July culminating at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Hoping to get to Lotus HQ mid trip.

Offline BDA

« Reply #449 on: Thursday,April 25, 2024, 09:40:11 AM »
Sorry to hear about your collar bone! I understand that's a really painful one to break!

Glad to hear you're pretty much all healed up and got your tranny back together. I envy you for your trip to Merry Ole and especially going to Goodwood Festival of Speed! I'm sure you'll see LOTS of Loti there! A trip to Lotus HQ would be a cherry on top!  :beerchug: