Author Topic: TC/TCS seat mount bolt size?  (Read 749 times)

Offline Pete Gossett

TC/TCS seat mount bolt size?
« on: Sunday,October 21, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but I'm making a vain attempt to remove the seats from '73. However, I'm having a heck of a time finding the correct wrench to use on the seat rail bolts. A 12mm is too small, but a 13mm started to round off the head - but 1/2" was loose enough to slip as well.

The bolts are rusty, but not *that* rusty...

Can anyone confirm what size wrench I need!

Thanks!

Offline cal44

Re: TC/TCS seat mount bolt size?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,October 21, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »
Pete,

This won't help.  I start wrenching on my Europa........what the heck size does this take?  Frankly I don't know where they got some of the nuts and bolts.........perhaps Planet Clair (B52's)?

My Sunbeam Tiger was odd in that way as well.  I would be happily working away and bam!  what size is this?
It was almost like in between sizes.  I thought it was just me........now I know it is you and me.

On another note, some years ago sockets and wrenches started to change.  How?  the tool is made just slightly larger so the socket of wrench teeth hit more in the center of bolt or nut.  This takes the pressure off of the corners.......I think.
« Last Edit: Monday,October 22, 2012, 05:33:22 AM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,October 21, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »
Hi Peter,

I just popped into the workshop and a 1/2" ring spanner fits on mine, a sloppy fit but good enough to undo the bolt without marking the corners. 

Like Mike says, you need a strange collection of tools for these cars, some metric, some UNF/UNC and probably Romulan or Vulcan for those Planet Clair bolts.  It's typical Lotus but in their defense the 70s was a period when the UK was adopting the metric system so they had old imperial stock to use up alongside the new metric from Europe to mix in.

The seat runners are a PITA, especially if rusted so you have my sympathy. I find a 1/4" drive socket can get into tight places which is sometimes useful, and my last resort is to buy some really cheap spanners and grind the nearest one to a "hammered on fit". (I also grind away the outer sides to give a greater angle of movement as well - I is an ingineer  ::)

Sacrificial spanners, like sacrificial screwdrivers, have a place in my workshop ;)

Brian

Offline Pete Gossett

« Reply #3 on: Monday,October 22, 2012, 04:02:10 AM »
Thanks for confirming the size, it may be time to hit the bargain-bin at the party's store and file open a 12mm.

I soaked the tracks with Freeze-Off yesterday, so I think I'll just keep doing that for a while. I took a hammer and was able to pursuede the driver's seat all the way back against the bulkhead, but there's no room to get a socket on the front bolts?

Eh, the bumpers and front lid came off easy enough, so at least it wasn't a wasted day.