Author Topic: 365 Rear Cover  (Read 465 times)

Offline jpane

365 Rear Cover
« on: Thursday,May 19, 2022, 05:21:49 AM »
I apologize if I had asked this before, my memory isn't what it used to be. I am looking for a replacement for a cracked/leaky rear cover for a 365. When it was taken apart recently, it was found to have a crack that had previously been epoxied. Since it had not been a problem, it was re-epoxied and assembled. Of course, now it is leaking.
Anyone parting out a 365? Any suggestions for places to try, I think I've called most, but might have missed some?
I obviously have not been as diligent as I used to be, because I see that one changed hands recently. But, Joji is more deserving, as John said.
Thanks,
John

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: 365 Rear Cover
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,May 19, 2022, 05:53:25 AM »
John, have you looked into low temperature aluminum brazing? This might be a more permanent fix for your cracked case than epoxy. I have some rods but have not yet had a chance to try out the method. Oh by the way, John Collier has the case since he was the first responder.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,May 19, 2022, 06:17:13 AM »
Actually, I ended up with it.  And, barely two weeks later, bought a 365 with a broken rear cover.  Hmm, time to buy a lottery ticket?  On second thought, I’ll save my luck for car parts.

Epoxy won’t “stick” if there is any trace of oil.  Boil then wash in spirits, and repeat, until the boiling water is clear.  This is important for epoxy, brazing and welding.  These covers are absolute hen’s teeth as they are so vulnerable when backing up due to the linkage being so low.   I’d take it to a professional for proper welding myself.  The good news is that you can pull the rear cover without having to remove the tranny.

Offline jpane

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,May 19, 2022, 06:52:56 AM »
John,
Thanks for the clarification, and the technical advice. I will be exploring repair, but glad to know it can be removed without removing tranny. Any advice on that procedure?
Best wishes,
John

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,May 19, 2022, 07:11:54 AM »
Follow the procedure in the manual carefully otherwise you can drop a detent ball into the main casing.  People have had moderate success fishing it out with a magnet but…

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,May 19, 2022, 06:56:24 PM »
Look up "Muggy Weld". They have a very very low temp aluminum rod and flux that works very well. 

Offline wnchillbilly

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,June 04, 2022, 04:06:04 AM »
Henkel- the industrial division of Loctite(ie not the Home Depot Loctite branded crap) has metal epoxies for aluminum and actually steel as well.

20-25 years ago, a rocker stand on a 383 in a Jensen Interceptor II broke on a guy who was visiting Hiawassee GA with the Jensen Club.

He had a head someone had attempted to braze and then sold the car as a runner. This gentleman drove down to Hiawassee and he had a failure. His marriage was about to be a failure. Good guy.

I took the threaded part which had broken off cleanly, removed the "brazing", and then applied the Loctite. I ran a tap down, and I told him I'd rather find him a pair of 906 heads off a 440 or I could scrounge 383 or 400 heads just as easily. He wanted the engine repaired as was. I had cleaned the head in a parts washer with fresh fluid and also used several cans of the old style carb cleaner(XYLENE FOR EXTRA BURN ON THE HANDS !). It has been 20 years I know since the J-I club came to Hiawassee GA. He still has the Interceptor, he still has the repaired head, he still uses that repaired head, and his wife did not divorce him. The heads are cast iron, the rocker "stands" are cast into the head and you bolt or stud shafts in place.

I can swear the same on a Mopar Performance Stage VI head with the Max Wedge ports. They had porosity issues and rather than chuck a head and drop $2k on another- the owner said let's try the epoxy.

I keep both on hand- it is expensive but worth it and sealed up it lasts a long time.

Clean your parts ! Clean them again !

Pay attention to set time. Let it set longer than recommended(don't stare at it, it will blink first or you'll go blind).

Best
VME-II

Offline jpane

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,June 11, 2022, 06:26:59 AM »
wnchillbilly, thanks for the suggestion. When you mention keeping both on hand , do you mean the two products that show on their website when I search for Metal Rebuilding Materials? Numbers 3463 and 3471? I will have to check with the mechanic who recently worked on the car to find out what he used. I also need to get a pan to keep under the leaking area, so I can see how much is coming out, and whether it is related to fill level.