Author Topic: junk or near junk rear suspension parts  (Read 481 times)

Offline BDA

junk or near junk rear suspension parts
« on: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 04:40:27 PM »
I would like to do some experimenting with rear stub axles and uprights. I'm looking for just about any stub axle. For example, if the threaded end has broken off or the u-joint ears are busted, that would be ok.

I'm also interested in a junque upright. Here, I'm a little confused because I'm primarily interested in a TC upright (I believe that the only difference between the TC and TCS is the bolt circle of the mount to the radius arm - if that is true, it doesn't make any difference whether it is a TC or TCS upright. I'm really only interested in the dimensions related to bearings, stub axle, etc. It does not have to be serviceable.

Let me know what you have and what you want for it and we'll probably be able to make a deal.

Offline GavinT

Re: junk or near junk rear suspension parts
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 10:31:26 PM »
G'day, BDA (pardon the rhyme  :D)

Don't know if this makes any difference to your dastardly experiments but I thought the TCS used a larger OD inner bearing, no?

Also, we know the S1 & S2 came with a 31mm land for the inner (6006) bearing and that the outer (6206) bearing was used on all models.
We also know that many people machine down the S1 & S2 axle to take a 30mm inner bearing.
Was there some inflection point where the TC was delivered with a 30mm ID inner bearing?

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,May 13, 2021, 04:22:59 AM »
You’re a poet and you don’t know it but your feet show it...  :FUNNY:

Yeah, I think you’re right. I believe I have TC parts on my TCS. Through a miscommunication or an availability issue, I think I ended up with a TC upright when I got Richard’s twin link and rear disc kits which required me to get TC radius arms..

To be honest, I really haven’t researched the bearing situation closely and I’m not sure at this stage that it matters. What I’m want to do is experiment with VW stub axles and CV joints. Our own Andy Harwood started down that road and it really intrigued me. That VW/Porsche stuff is made in such quantities that they should be pretty inexpensive and if adapting everything to fit together isn’t too involved, it could answer a lot of prayers - although the PA Motorsport pieces seem like good options already.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,May 13, 2021, 09:46:00 AM »
Yes, there's a plethora of Lobro CV's out there . .  94mm, 100mm and 108mm Porsche ones.

http://blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoints_Axles/cv_joints_101.htm

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,May 13, 2021, 09:47:48 AM »
although the PA Motorsport pieces seem like good options already.
Correct me if I'm wrong (please), but I think the PA Motorsport axles have a yoke to fit the smaller u-joints of the S1 & S2.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,May 13, 2021, 10:22:37 AM »
GavinT: Thanks. Andy sent that link to me when in an email conversation a while ago. There is some good information at that site!

Bainford: I would assume that the yokes are for the smaller S1/S2 U-joints unless there is enough meat on the yoke for the larger TC U-joints. You'll have to ask S2Zetec54. He might have asked for the larger U-joints.