Author Topic: Two (2) Lotus Europa  (Read 3387 times)

Offline gcarrolln368ab

Two (2) Lotus Europa
« on: Tuesday,June 02, 2015, 06:06:34 PM »
I have two (2) Lotus Europa for sale, both dis-assembled but complete with many, many parts!  Parts include windshield in crate, two (2) five speed transaxles, two (2) four speed transaxles, three (3) engine blocks, one (1) of the blocks is a fresh short block, four (4) Stromberg heads complete with cams, lifters, valves, and one (1) Weber Head, complete with valves, cams, lifters, etc., one (1) frame restored with Spax shocks and bushings, one (1) frame un-touched, one (1) frame damaged but restorable, three (3) complete sets of front and rear bumpers, three (3) complete sets of original Europa aluminum wheels, shift linkages, two (2) trunk "boxes", too many front and rear suspension components to list, seats.  Both cars are in the mid-40,000 mile range and have good titles.  Cars are located in Northwest Louisiana, 180 miles East of Dallas Texas.  $6500, or BEST OFFER,  for everything.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 03, 2015, 01:57:04 AM by gcarrolln368ab »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Two (2) Lotus Europa
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 03, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »
Questions:-

1) Do the two cars come with both doors and front hood and rear engine cover?

2) What carburettors?

3) 3 sets of 5 wheels?

4) What is missing from the interiors? Gauges x 6 in each car? 2 steering columns? 2 steering wheels?

5) Do the shells come with windshields?

6) What are the chassis numbers please?

I am very interested but I need more info, as the wife will be horrified, and I need to know if this is worth the aggro from her ! 
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 03, 2015, 03:51:40 PM by 4129R »

Offline gcarrolln368ab

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 03, 2015, 04:28:50 PM »
There are two (2) cars and I will describe them separately;

The Yellow car has it's frame are still together.  The doors, hood, and trunk lid are attached to the car.  The car is in surprisingly good shape including the dash with all instruments, steering, the windshield is in great condition.  Both seats are here but not in the car.
The Blue car has some damage to the back right rear corner, but I have two or three rear clips, an extra hood, but the car is complete.  The frame for this car has already been sandblasted, and either powder coated or painted, it has new bushings and spax shocks.  The windshield in this car is smashed, but, I have another windshield in a crate that appears in good shape.
The twin weber head I believe was originally in the blue car and the two (2) weber carbs are in dirty but complete condition.  There are also two of the rear trunks or boxes as well as bell housings etc.

I apologize for not supplying the chassis numbers as the titles are at my office and I will send them tomorrow! G
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 03, 2015, 05:37:47 PM by gcarrolln368ab »

Offline 4129R

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 03, 2015, 10:29:40 PM »
The interesting 4 numbers of the chassis number are displayed in the front left side of the windshield. Something like 3048R.

Questions:-

a) A photo of the damage to the blue one would be helpful.

b) Are there any Zenith Stromberg carbs?

c) How many alloy wheels in total, 8 or 10?

Offline gcarrolln368ab

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 04, 2015, 08:15:29 AM »
I have a plastic crate full of Stromberg carbs and parts

there are in fact three (3) sets of Lotus original alloy wheels and one (1) set of aftermarket rims all in good shape

the vin's are 744688R and 744259R

I'll sent the picture later today!

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,July 25, 2015, 08:12:58 PM »
Interested in the Weber head and carbs if still available.  Drop me a PM.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,July 26, 2015, 12:58:52 AM »
The whole lot is in a 40ft container and on its way to me, hopefully.

Offline 3929R

« Reply #7 on: Monday,July 27, 2015, 09:53:22 AM »
How many does that make in your growing collection? :)
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline 4129R

« Reply #8 on: Monday,July 27, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
Potentially just the 7.

4 in Norfolk and 3 on the way from the good old USA.

Two black, two regency red, one mid brown,one blue, and one yellow.

I have just about done everything on them apart from body from chassis, but these two on their way will change all that as they are in kit form.

When you know the order to put them back together, access is easier, i.e. handbrake cables with centre tunnel empty, door locks without metal frame and glass in place.

When the doors are off, laid flat on a towel and cushions, working on them is much easier.

The brown one is very badly rusted so getting the seats out will be a challenge. Quite what the chassis is like has yet to be established, but sufficient spares are on their way or easily available to make the job far easier.

I have even found easier ways to convert from LHD to RHD, with fewest parts needed.

The locals in Norfolk love them. It is like bringing them home for re-juvenation, with local ex-Lotus labour doing the critical bits like trim and paintwork, and engines.

They are very rare in the UK with many enthusiasts not having seen any for 35+ years. 

Offline 3929R

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,July 28, 2015, 10:08:03 AM »
You can have your own car show!
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline 4129R

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,August 13, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »
40ft container arrives tomorrow morning.

Customs were mildly interested in costs etc to work out import duty. It was marginally more than I thought, but still not a significant deal breaker. 

Offline 4129R

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,August 15, 2015, 03:51:41 AM »
Well the container arrived 40 minutes early, the articulated lorry tried to reverse into my driveway, couldn't, so parked up 100 yards down the road where other lorries could pass, and we had to unload from there using a tele-porter fork lift truck.

The whole operation took 2 hours. The hardest part was getting the bare shell out. We lifted the front up, I pushed a trolley under the flat floor pan, we pushed the shell up the 40ft container, and then the fork lift lifted the shell up, I took the trolley out, I put a pallet underneath (which luckily I had lying around) and the shell on the pallet was lifted, driven 100 yards up the road, and placed on 4 piles of bricks on a concrete pad I have between 2 garages where the propane gas tank sits. (Living in the country, I have to have Calor propane gas delivered into a big storage tank. )

I have unpacked everything, and it is two giant jigsaw puzzles with lots of parts missing (alternators, starter, just about every nut and bolt, two exhaust systems complete and other stuff to be discovered.)

The good news is the new chassis will make the basis for an excellent nut and bolt restoration, and it will be every f'ing nut and bolt !!! The good news also is that I am on very friendly terms with Richard at Banks, and will soon become his best customer.

When my collection is restored, I will know what parts I have left over, but I definitely have the complete rear half shell with engine cover , and the complete rear right quarter shell, and the mirror image left quarter shell surplus, so if there are any UK based owners in need of back parts of the body, please contact me. I also have a rusty slightly bent chassis which will be repairable, and will be cheap.

« Last Edit: Saturday,August 15, 2015, 04:01:28 AM by 4129R »

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,August 15, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »
Excellent!!! Glad to hear everything arrived safely and without too much drama. Now the fun begins! I wouldn't feel intimidated by the "every nut and bolt" aspect of your rebuild. These are pretty simple cars and in the grand scheme of things, there aren't THAT many nuts and bolts!

Richard is THE MAN. There is no better Europa expert and no finer gentleman. I talked with him often when I was building my car in the late '90s. I called him back a few months ago reminding him who I was but he stopped me and said that of course he remembered me! His parts are all well thought out and beautifully crafted. I have no doubt he'll help you set your car up to something you'll be really proud of.

One piece of advise I might give is to keep a log on your rebuild. I started one toward the end of mine and wished I had started earlier. With digital cameras, including pictures would be pretty easy and add a lot.

Good luck and post pictures as you go!

:lotus:

Offline grnicholson

« Reply #13 on: Friday,August 21, 2015, 05:01:44 AM »
Hi

I need the seats and centre console.  How much please and can you arrange carriage to spain at my cost.

Thanks

richard

Offline 4129R

« Reply #14 on: Friday,August 21, 2015, 10:00:52 AM »
Unfortunately I have no spare interior parts at the moment.