Author Topic: Registering an Imported Car in the UK  (Read 3850 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Registering an Imported Car in the UK
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,March 20, 2024, 10:27:58 AM »
Inspection tomorrow.

I wonder if it will be the same chappy who came 4-5 months ago.

I wonder what he will look at. They said it had to be roadworthy for inspection. If I cannot drive the f'ing car on the road as it is not registered, how can I see if it is roadworthy? Chicken ........ egg.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,March 20, 2024, 02:14:12 PM »
Given the DVLA I suspect that phrase is just to stop someone registering a collection of rusty old bits as a D type Jag or something, wasn't there something about a crackdown on people doing that sort of thing a few years ago ?

If it's just a guy coming to look at the car then there's not much he can do other than walk round it, check there's a wheel at each corner, headlights, etc. He can't check for roadworthiness without an MoT station unless of course he's allowed to drive it ? There can't be much doubt after the restoration work you've been doing.

Genuine question - could you or a mechanic have driven it for an MoT on trade plates ? 

Offline 4129R

« Reply #17 on: Thursday,March 21, 2024, 01:15:05 AM »
Genuine question - could you or a mechanic have driven it for an MoT on trade plates ?
Yes, 6 months ago, when I started to register it, the car started and ran well.

But .............. sitting around for 6 months, it is now sulking and will need persuasion to start, a bit like Henry the engine who would not come out of the tunnel when it was raining.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,March 21, 2024, 07:05:11 AM »
Same man came back this morning. He checked the engine number, the VIN plate, two seat belts (???), and the mileage. He made sure his photo of the VIN plate did not show the engine number as it differed from the Sxxxxx number on the block.

Old VIN plates are not easy to read after they were stamped lightly on manufacture, and a bit of oxidation to the ally plate over the last 50 years. 3089R is a Feb 1973 manufacture.

According to Lotus, this car started as exported to Canada, and the registry has it in Taylors South Carolina. My title from Feb 1982 had it in Pennsylvania, so not far from Canada. Maybe then it wanted warmer weather, moved south and never got re-registered in SC.   

Offline GavinT

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,March 21, 2024, 07:08:16 AM »
What a palava...

In Oz we can get an "unregistered vehicle permit" which is valid for 1 - 7 days which allows moving a vehicle for a whole host of reasons which, of course, includes getting a safety inspection certificate - our version of an MOT.

Don't know if you guys have mobile MOT outfits. I had to change registration after moving states and called a mobile guy who did the job in about an hour. That was easier than I expected. Not all our cars are required to go over the pits these days . . maybe just 'new' registrations which is probably the same treatment as an imported car.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,April 03, 2024, 06:25:29 AM »
Today I get another letter from DVLA rejecting my application.

The photograph of the VIN plate shows 72033089R but the application is for 74/3089R.

This is despite a letter from Lotus explaining it all.

I am absolutely fuming (= very miffed).

Offline BDA

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday,April 03, 2024, 07:22:39 AM »
In case you weren’t convinced that all the bad things you’d heard about bureaucracies were true…

I do hope somebody over there comes to their senses soon!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday,April 03, 2024, 08:16:45 AM »

The photograph of the VIN plate shows 72033089R but the application is for 74/3089R.

I don't suppose anyone would contemplate buying a duplicate VIN plate from Ebay, stamping it up themselves and then re-applying saying they'd mixed up the photographs, would they ?  ;)

Brian

(when dealing with idiots you have to drop down a level or two)
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 03, 2024, 08:24:30 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline 4129R

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday,April 03, 2024, 09:32:10 AM »

I don't suppose anyone would contemplate buying a duplicate VIN plate from Ebay, stamping it up themselves and then re-applying saying they'd mixed up the photographs, would they ?  ;)

Brian

(when dealing with idiots you have to drop down a level or two)

Andy Graham hasn't got any. I asked a while ago !!!

Offline BDA

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday,April 03, 2024, 09:51:08 AM »
Can you title it as a home-built special? You could call it an Alex TC!

Offline 4129R

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,April 03, 2024, 11:30:05 AM »
I have told them, I have sent them the Lotus documents, and given them 5 working days to respond or I will contact my MP again.

Their total incompetence is astounding.

It is like snakes and ladders with plenty of big long snakes (reticulated pythons and anacondas) and very few very short ladders. 

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday,April 03, 2024, 01:44:03 PM »
Andy Graham hasn't got any. I asked a while ago !!!
Do you honestly think someone in the DVLA would know the difference between a genuine, 1970s VIN plate from Lotus and one of the Ebay replicas ?

Being serious I think you've got to recognise you're dealing with box tickers rather than people who are able to think logically, look at evidence and take a decision. It's always easier to request "more tests/data" or reject something if every box doesn't have a tick to absolve you of any thought process and take the decision for you.   

Recognising that and knowing that you're not doing anything improper, have full title/ownership and import papers for the cars you're registering, well, I'd just make sure that box was ticked for them.  And I'd have a clear conscience;  it's not fraudulent because the cars are genuine and that's been accepted by Lotus, the original manufacturer, it's someone who's incapable of taking a decision.

They are arguing about a simple error made almost 50yrs ago which is stupid, more so when you consider the DVLA themselves are hardly paragons of accuracy.  As I've mentioned before, when I requested the history for my Elan in 2011 as a classic I received not only my Elan (UAB 807F) but also paperwork for someone else's Hillman Hunter, UAB 807L.   So it would seem they have trouble reading their own records.... 

Brian

Offline gideon

« Reply #27 on: Thursday,April 04, 2024, 04:23:52 AM »
Maybe this feels more legit than a random ebay seller?

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ036A0002.htm

Offline 4129R

« Reply #28 on: Thursday,April 04, 2024, 09:58:58 AM »
Maybe this feels more legit than a random ebay seller?

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ036A0002.htm

That's the one.

Thanks for the link, I deal with SJS regularly.

If DVLA mess me around any more, there is always that to fall back on.

The problem is they have a photo of that exact plate with 73023089R stamped on it, so if I send a photo of one with 74/3089R stamped on it (and I already have the stamp dies) they should smell a rat. 

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #29 on: Thursday,April 04, 2024, 12:57:01 PM »
Don't you mean that you mixed up the photographs from the cars in your fleet and sent them the wrong one ?  Happily, thanks to their questioning you've realised your mistake and have sent them a photo of the plate that's rivetted in the car you're wishing to register.

The other (wrong) plate/car will be up for registration in the future when you've finished it, by which time they'll have forgotten all about it.

Brian

PS - if you do decide this course of action, PM me and I'll remove all my posts on this thread, just in case......