Author Topic: Hellow , New Member  (Read 1312 times)

Offline S2Greg

Hellow , New Member
« on: Sunday,April 17, 2016, 09:06:22 AM »
Hi group. I have recently joined the Europa Forum.  I live in British Columbia, Canada where I work as a Marine Engineer.  I am in my later 50's and hope to semi-retire in a couple more years.
  I have owned my Europa since about 1978 or so. its a pre- federal type 54. A previous owner had swapped it to a Lotus Cortina twin cam but the results were less than ideal.  After spending a lot of effort to keep it running for the first couple years I owned it I came to the conclusion it would need to be returned to Renault power. It came apart, the frame mods of the P.O. were reversed and I began to gather up Renault engine's and parts. Then life got in the way for about the next 30 years.
  It's generally a pretty decent car but needs a good rebuild.  Hopefully the retirement god's are friendly.

Greg

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Hellow , New Member
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,April 17, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
 Hi Greg, and  :Welcome:

Wow, 1978, that puts you in the class of "definitely a serious enthusiast", good to have you on the forum.

I can understand the aim to return your car to standard, it's often the easiest way to make sure something works !  Whilst many of us make changes I do think that knowing what the car is like as designed is a good basis for where you go with them.

I'm another early retirement guy and I can tell you now that I'm busier these days than when I had a job to escape to.....   but I don't regret the move for one minute, so make those plans !

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,April 17, 2016, 09:37:42 AM »
 :Welcome: S2Greg!

I know where you're talking about life getting in the way. It took me twenty years to get my car on the road!

Also, congratulations on your plans for early retirement! I hope they work out better than you expect!

Please keep us up to date with your car!

:lotus:

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,April 17, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
 :Welcome: S2 Greg!!
I'm in the same group as you, retirement will catch me in Aug/Sept. I've not had a Europa as long as you though, just a few years. Mine is in pieces, so you will see me asking many questions here.
andyh

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #4 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 05:29:11 AM »
Hi Greg,  :Welcome:  sounds like you have a fun little project. Looks like you aren't too far from me, I live out in Abbotsford!  It would be great to see some pictures of your project.
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 08:32:16 AM »
 :Welcome: Welcome to the club, Greg. I think you will find a lot of advice and support for your project here. Post up some photos when you get a chance. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 3929R

« Reply #6 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »
 :Welcome: :ttiwwp: :beerchug:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline S2Greg

« Reply #7 on: Monday,April 25, 2016, 08:56:35 AM »
Sorry about the lack of photo's . The car is currently in a rather jumbled storage shed and pictures would not add much information except that I haven't been an ideal owner.  You can substitute any pictures of neglected Europa's you wish and more or less get the idea. 30 years of neglect and a few moves takes it's toll. It's the one car which I have taken what was a quite nice driver and turned it into a bit of a heap. I usually work the other way around, take something that someone has neglected and bring it back to life.
  The biggest problem is that I haven't been very motivated to return it to roadworthy condition. When I first purchased it I drove it quite a bit, and I really didn't feel comfortable with it in traffic.  The road handling was great; and the twin cam gave it good performance, but the overall feeling was not all that good. My MGA took over as my driver and the Europa was put up for sale. No one bought it so by default it stayed. It's {in my opinion} too decent a starting point to build as a track car. But it's a road car that I have reservations about, so it has fallen way to the back of the line as far as my automotive priorities are concerned.
 I recently bought RoddyMac's spare S2 bodyshell, and that will be the start of a dedicated auto x car. Some of the parts from my original car might be used in it, but long term I want to have two complete cars, one very close to original and one a pure track car.

Greg
« Last Edit: Monday,April 25, 2016, 09:01:05 AM by S2Greg »

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #8 on: Monday,April 25, 2016, 09:22:21 AM »
 :Welcome:

Welcome Gregg

:lotus:

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Monday,April 25, 2016, 10:11:50 AM »
I think I know what you mean about being uncomfortable in traffic. Looking at the lug nuts on an SUV can be a bit intimidating. Nobody feels comfortable when a car they've slaved over is at risk of getting pranged! And we all know what a disaster it would be if the frame was damaged. Thankfully, Chunky thought of that . His advanced design shields the valuable frame with driver and passenger!  :)

Seriously, motivation can sometimes waver and it can be hard to get it back, especially when you have other projects or cars. You already know how great they are to drive so maybe getting together with another owner. Rosco5000 looks like he might not be too far from you. I'd advise you to enter you and your car on the map (http://tiny.cc/814d7x). Getting on the yahoo group might also help since there are more active members and there is an additional wealth of knowledge over there.

When you get moving on either car, we'd love to seem some pictures of your progress!

Good luck with your projects!

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #10 on: Monday,April 25, 2016, 01:42:37 PM »
Hi Greg.  I'm restoring a Renault S2 at the moment.

Offline S2Greg

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,April 30, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »
I have already been on the yahoo group for a few years. Mostly soaking in the gems of care and feeding of Europa's that are posted. I expect I will mostly be doing the same here. Building up a parts inventory has been my main activity and will probably continue for the near future.
  My intention for the auto x car is to come as near as I can to a 47- ish chasses without breaking the bank.  After market; Spyder, Banks etc. frame kits look ideal but between the initial cost, shipping to Canada, and our sad $ are not going to be possible. I will most likely be following Rod's lead and creating my own chasses.  Initial stage will probably involve using the near stock set up from my original car, but I definitely see some sort of twin link rear susp. as being a ultimate goal.

Greg