Author Topic: LED headlight bulbs  (Read 1769 times)

Offline buzzer

LED headlight bulbs
« on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 11:31:40 PM »
As the lotus as standard doesn't use any relays and thinking of keeping the power consumption as low as possible, has anyone used  LED headlight bulbs? Reduced load on the switches main dip beam etc.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: LED headlight bulbs
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 11:47:56 PM »
Morning Dave...

Not on the Lotus but like a lot of folks I've used replacement LED bulbs on other cars (wife's TT for example).  I can't see any reason why not and something designed for the classic mini will probably fit the bill.  I've seen you can even get Mini headlamps with LED daytime running lights now, which might be a good idea with the Europa being so low.

I fitted relays to mine with a separate power supply lead to the front.  There was no overpowering reason to do so as the wiring had been fine for 40+ years but like you're thinking it was just a case of reducing load on those old dash switches.

Brian

Offline 3929R

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 19, 2016, 06:36:56 AM »
Not Europa specific, but a local (to me of course) Sunbeam owner is happy with a conversion kit he got here-
http://velocesolutionsllc.com/
I'd think there are plenty of other options.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline buzzer

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 19, 2016, 07:36:27 AM »
I am specifically thinking of headlights, there seems to be a few systems about, some only suitable for fog lights, but there seems to be a number of LED headlight bulb conversions that pull about half the current of std headlight bulbs with the same or better light output.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 19, 2016, 09:46:49 AM »
There are some LED replacements for 7" head lights and they are pretty expensive, but seem well reviewed. There are also some LED replacement bulbs for H4 lamps. I don't know what the verdict is for them.

If you're interested in LEDs for the other lights, I have a list I generated for my TCS (with red/yellow/white tail lamps) on this thread: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=891.msg6704#msg6704

Offline buzzer

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 12:59:19 AM »
There are new one's coming on the market all the time, I will check out the H4 replacements.

Dave
Dave,

Offline buzzer

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 01:53:01 AM »
These are the sort of thing I am looking at. Won't get them yes as I am sure the price will continue to drop, so wait till I need them. But they do look impressive. 25w consumption and even brighter that top spec halogens. just a bit pricey. may get them for my Range Rover.
http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/headlamp-cree-led/5th-gen-4000-lumens/h4-5th-gen-4000-lumens

« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 02:56:27 AM by buzzer »
Dave,

Offline BDA

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 06:40:15 AM »
The problem with almost all "conversion" bulbs is that they do not properly replicate a incandescent light pattern.  As a result they generate lots of light scatter.  Buy complete headlights as then the reflectors are designed to work properly with the HID or LED sources.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 07:05:36 AM »
The Philips bulbs I found seem to have the Halogen equivalent cut offs and are the latest type of LED headlamp replacements. a lot of others are ok for fog lights only
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 07:20:43 AM by buzzer »
Dave,

Offline ICSNO

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 07:36:49 PM »
In case you do decide to replace the whole housings, I recommend these:

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8700-evolution-2/

They are more pricey than halogen replacement bulbs but will arguably give you the best possible output out of a 7 inch round housing using LEDs.  They may draw more current than single led bulbs though, peaking at 3 Amps for high beam.  More information is here.  Good luck with the LED conversion!