Author Topic: Touring with a Europa  (Read 422 times)

Offline jbcollier

Touring with a Europa
« on: Thursday,May 19, 2022, 09:06:57 AM »
I have had a number of funny foreign vehicles and toured with them all.  Volvo and Volkswagen (type 3 of course) station wagons aside, they all were fairly space limited for luggage.  My MGB had a cavernous trunk almost completely filled with a full sized spare.  My Triumph TR7 had a trunk which would take a carefully folded human body (mine once) but not really much better than the B.  Volkswagen Beetles had you using the rear seats.  Only my Peugeot 504 had a non-pre-filled, cavernous trunk.  But you would hardly call that a small sports car, supremely comfortable though.

The Lotus Europa is tiny, very tiny but it actually has a quite a bit of luggage space.  Way more than the Elan and any modern Lotus, except perhaps their just announced SUV (ugh!).  I was thinking about this as I was driving along.  There really isn’t another car like it.  Mine is an S1 and has cavernous door cavities as well, luxury!  You S2 and up owners can stuff tings behind you seats so no complaints there either.

My current tour has had rain virtually every day, many times all day long.  The single wiper does a great job.  There are a few dribbles here and there, all good fun for any sports car enthusiast.  The air flow keeps the side and rear windows completely clear.

Heat is great as long as it is above freezing and you don’t have a 160 degree thermostat installed.  Takes a bit of time to defog things on a wet morning but all complete clear once under way.

Troubles?  Something always happens, true.  On this trip a reverse light bulb came loose and shorted the power to ground.  Took out another fuse unnoticed while fixing it and so lost the speedometer for 500 klicks as I drive by the GPS.  Two fuses and a litre and a half of oil in 6k of driving — some done with significant brio— not bad, not bad at all.

All this to say, take your Europa out for a long tour.  You might just have an amazing time.

Offline BDA

Re: Touring with a Europa
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,May 19, 2022, 09:45:48 AM »
 :I-agree:

Almost the first thing I did with my Europa when I bought it "new" was to go on a month long road trip with a college buddy. We camped when we could so we packed some thin blankets (sleeping bags were too bulky), a tarp (taped to the roof and staked in the ground for a tent), changes of clothes, bunches of cassette tapes, and a few tools. Things were stashed in every available nook and cranny but we were comfortably provisioned. So I agree with JB, but I have to say that we were able to pack so much stuff in the car because we didn't use any real "luggage." Thinking back, I'm actually not sure how we packed things. We might have had some soft overnight type bags or we might have even used laundry bags or pillow cases. As a college student, that wasn't a hardship but some soft-sided luggage would be required now.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Friday,May 20, 2022, 12:41:01 AM »
The Lotus Europa is tiny, very tiny but it actually has a quite a bit of luggage space. 

Beware, I put too heavy a load of luggage in the front plenum chamber, and the flexing on the base caused the throttle to jam open.

I now make up 1/2" ply panels to put in the plenum chamber to strengthen the base and evenly distribute the load.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Friday,May 20, 2022, 05:25:08 AM »
It's fascinating just how different the S1 is from the later Europas.  The front plenum is very stiff in an S1.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #4 on: Friday,May 20, 2022, 08:02:06 AM »
I'm hoping to get mine back from the shop at the end of this month or the start of next month and I am thinking of driving it to Charlotte, NC to visit my friend there and do a few meets with some Lotus Owners.

I drove my Elan S4 from Nashville, TN to Memphis, TN and got 60mpg!! Great trip.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Friday,May 20, 2022, 08:52:18 AM »
60 mpg!!! You must have done a lot of coasting! When my Europa was "new" it would get 30 mpg at 90 mph. I thought that was pretty good!

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #6 on: Friday,May 20, 2022, 09:34:12 AM »
No interstate/highway driving, all back roads. No traffic at all going about 55mph.