Author Topic: cam cover gasket sealant  (Read 5143 times)

Offline 4380r

cam cover gasket sealant
« on: Monday,March 31, 2014, 01:02:40 PM »
What do most folks use for sealant for the cam cover gasket (twin cam)?

Also, have any of you used RD's oil filler 'kit', in which you epoxy a filler neck into the cam cover and then use the accompanying screw on oil filler cap? If so what type of epoxy did you use?

Apparently the OEM caps are no longer available, and replacing the oil seal didn't stop seepage.

Thanks.

Todd

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: cam cover gasket sealant
« Reply #1 on: Monday,March 31, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
I normally use silicone sealant, and probably far too much but at least it stops the oil pouring out !

Brian

Offline YellowS4DHC

« Reply #2 on: Monday,March 31, 2014, 01:49:53 PM »
Todd, here's a few options to consider:

1.  Loctite Aviation Gasket Cement #3 is pretty good stuff, but can be messy to apply if you aren't careful.  You also have to let it "set up" a bit to get good tack otherwise the gasket may squeeze out a bit when you tighten down the nuts.  I generally apply it, then let it sit for a time, and then position the gasket on the cam cover and let it sit some more; when I install the cover, I torque the nuts very lightly until the engine has had a good heat cycle which helps to set the cement.

2.  Hylomar will also seal well, but since it never really hardens, gasket squeeze out can be an issue unless you're careful.  After a couple of heat cycles you should be ok.  Again, the major drawback is that it requires some care to apply it so the gasket edge is nice and clean (if that's important to you).

3.  A silicone sealer will seal well, and a clear silicone gives a nice clean appearance to the visible edge of the cork,  but if you use this stuff, you should use only that amount necessary to wet the bonding face of the gasket.  Most people use far too much and some of the silicone that gets squeezed out may get into the oil passageways and cause a major problem.  This shouldn't be an issue with the cam cover gasket since you can inspect the bond-line exposed to the inside of the engine for excess squeeze out of sealant and remove any excess prior to installing the cam cover.  I generally use silicone only in those areas where I can inspect the bond for excess squeeze out (major exceptions are the water pump o-rings and the half moon cam cover plugs).

One last thing - I bond the gasket only to the cover, not the head.  Just my preference.  I find it's easier to remove a gasket from the cover at the bench rather than bending over the side of the car and cleaning up the top of the head - plus you don't have to worry about dropping bits of gasket material down in the timing chest or elsewhere.

I'm sure others will have more to say as everyone seems to have their own personal favorites.

Regards
Rick

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Monday,March 31, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
If using a silicone sealer make sure it is oil proof.  Permatex makes a line of oil proof silicone sealers that work well.

USE SPARINGLY

Using excessive amounts can lead to large "globs" of sealer inside your engine.  These can break free and wander where you don't want them.

One So-Cheap-He-Squeeked-While-Walking customer of mine "saved" the price of a gasket set and used lots of silicone instead of new gaskets on a Maserati V6.  Some broke free and plugged the main oil feed to the right head: seized cam, broken belt, bent valves, etc.

Ray's Oil Filler Cap Kit.

Put one on my Gordini alloy valve cover: works great.  I used a two part epoxy designed to bond to aluminum.

Offline 4380r

« Reply #4 on: Monday,March 31, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »
Thanks gentlemen, joining this community was the best thing I've done since buying the car...other than driving it, of course.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Monday,March 31, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »
For cam and valve cover gaskets, I glue the gasket to the cover with silicone and use grease on the gasket when reassembling. It never leaks, the gasket won't stick to the head, and it keeps its shape and doesn't get bent or broken. This works well for me for the usual cork gaskets on English cars.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,April 01, 2014, 08:58:36 AM »
I've been using Threebond 1211 for about 5 years now and find it to be excellent.

I also use Wurth Orange flange sealant. If I have the choice, this is the one.

Both excellent products.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,April 01, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »
Miles Wilkens in his Twin Cam engine books writes that both RTV sealant and Wellseal can be used. I've decided to try Wellseal, see how that works when I start up the motor on my TCS in a few weeks. If that doesn't work out, should be easy enough to try something else.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline hey_kramer

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,April 01, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »
I just installed RD's new filler cap on my TCS. Fitment was a bit loose, but acceptable. Also, I chose a very bad sealant because it leaks oil around the cap like I didn't even seal it at all!! Don't use Permatex from Auto Zone!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,April 01, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »
It's not  a bad sealant, permatex is quite good. It's not designed to be used as glue.  You need to use a two part epoxy and glue the threaded "spout" to the valve cover.

Offline 4380r

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,April 02, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »
I just installed RD's new filler cap on my TCS. Fitment was a bit loose, but acceptable. Also, I chose a very bad sealant because it leaks oil around the cap like I didn't even seal it at all!! Don't use Permatex from Auto Zone!

Did you have to cut out the 'nubs' (for lack of a better term) in the filler neck that hold the stock filler cap on, or did you pull them out?

Ray recommended PC7 epoxy to put in  the neck screw-in neck.

Offline hey_kramer

« Reply #11 on: Friday,April 04, 2014, 07:30:56 AM »

Did you have to cut out the 'nubs' (for lack of a better term) in the filler neck that hold the stock filler cap on, or did you pull them out?

The new neck of the filler cap from Ray already has slots machined-out to accommodate the nubs

Offline 4380r

« Reply #12 on: Friday,April 04, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »

The new neck of the filler cap from Ray already has slots machined-out to accommodate the nubs

Hmmmm...I just got one from Ray, arrived this past Monday. Must've gotten the last of the old ones, I guess.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #13 on: Friday,April 04, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »
Mine, just received last week, did not have any cut outs.

Offline Lotusjps

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,April 08, 2014, 08:49:45 AM »
Miles Wilkens in his Twin Cam engine books writes that both RTV sealant and Wellseal can be used. I've decided to try Wellseal, see how that works when I start up the motor on my TCS in a few weeks. If that doesn't work out, should be easy enough to try something else.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

I've have very good results with Wellseal.  I spread it on both sides of the gasket and let dry till tacky, and use a little RTV over the rubber half moons and cam seal.  WellSeal is also nice for when you take it apart, I've actually reused the gasket without any issues.  One thing to pay close attention to is to assure that the cam is centered in the cam seal.  I had a horrible problem with the cam seal leaking until I realized the the channel for it wasn't deep enough.  I used an old seal, glued emery paper to the edge, and worked it back and forth in the channel till I could get the seal perfectly centered.  That was over 10 yrs ago and no issues since.