Author Topic: 1970 S2 0560R  (Read 1475 times)

Offline taylorjs

1970 S2 0560R
« on: Friday,January 18, 2019, 10:02:53 PM »
The previous Subject (at the time of writing) introduced us to another 1970 S2 on Vancouver Island (1970 Europa S2 0496R) and among the replies was mention of my car, purchased last November (2018) on BAT and imported by me from Bremerton Washington (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-lotus-europa/). No doubt others have had the same reaction from friends/family; 'mid-life crisis'.  Nope.  Mid-life opportunity.  I figure that getting something at 55 that you'd have loved at 20, 30, 40, or 50 can hardly be called a mid-life crisis.  I bought her largely because of the dash.  I was keen for that set of SMITH gauges that come on many different 1970's cars (and on nothing you can buy today).  Keen, in part because my brother had a 1972 MGB back in the late 1970's when we were both teenagers (I had a 1970 Volvo B20B). This Lotus had a perfect unrestored wood dash with every gauge functional. It was only after a bunch of online research that I came to appreciate the rest.  At the time of bidding I asked my wife by e-mail.."What's my limit?". She replied: "Go for it".  How great is that?  I won with a $12,100.00 US bid.  No need for any of you to translate to $CDN..... I knew at the time but the number has conveniently been forgotten.  She (the car) has 37,000 original miles. Bob Wilson (who owns the third S2 on Vancouver Island, a Type 54) came by and said nice things about originality. He should know, he's owned his car since new.

There have been a few surprises: The de-lamination on the windshield was more serious than I thought.  Randall Fehr in Seattle had a new one with a small scratch for $150.  OK, off to a good start, though picking it up in person cost me a fair bit in addition to the purchase price. New tires.  An anticipated expense.  Still OK.  Four new Spax shocks and new front springs from RD Ent..  Now the $$ are adding up but shocks and springs can hardly be considered a surprise for a car that's sat since 1977. The BC provincial inspection uncovered a loose steering wheel, poorly fitting hood (that was considered a problem because of the design of our windshield defrosting system), play in the half shafts, and a starter with its 12v battery lead/connection dangerously close to the frame. I also had to scrape out wet carpet and repair seized seat runners.  The cable for the heater (controlling that hot water valve) also needed resetting.

It's Jan. 18, 2019. I've owned her for two months and covered about 20 kilometres total.   But, this is not a sob story.  The steering wheel was just a loose nut and the locking mechanisms on the hood and truck just needed tightening.  Shims, new hardened spacers, and some machining on the slightly damaged hubs have the half-shafts/rear wheels turning smoothly (luckily no differential/transaxle problems). I've now ordered a new fancy starter from RD Ent (the one on my car must have been replaced at some point with an incorrect large diameter starter from the Renault 16).  Of course I added several nice but unnecessary extras to my 2nd RD Ent order including stabilizer bar bushings, motor mounts, gear shift linkage rubber washers, and a fuel pump (just to have as a back-up).  I am probably (certainly) over $20,000 CDN by now.  But, very soon I will be driving what I hope will be an amazing car.  Thrilled to join you all in this 'hobby' and I can't wait to convoy with the other Van Isle Europas!

Cheers,

John Taylor

Offline Bodzer

Re: 1970 S2 0560R
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,January 19, 2019, 12:22:46 AM »
Hi John,

:Welcome:

I went to see the car in Bremerton just before the auction finished. It’s a lovely, original car. Not like the one next to it under the tarpaulin!  One or two issues but it’s a near 50 year old car after all. The one thing you might want to look at in depth is the crack across the top of the right hand (looking forward) chassis leg in front of the engine. It sounds like you’re in good company on Vancouver Island.

Good luck!

Pete

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,January 19, 2019, 04:25:28 AM »
Welcome John!  :Welcome:

Lotus ownership comes in two parts. 

1) The shear joy of driving one on the road, even if your alone.

2) The knowledge you gain of its mechanical systems due to the constant adjusting, repairing, replacing of parts.

It’s a healthy addiction. Enjoy every moment!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,January 19, 2019, 05:17:07 AM »
 :Welcome: taylorjr!
Looks like a great car. Looking forward to hearing about your progress and exploits, and remember:  :ttiwwp:
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,January 19, 2019, 07:33:13 AM »
 :Welcome: John!!

Any time you buy something that's almost fifty years old, you might expect to put some extra money into it, but in my opinion, there are few things more fun to spend money on! Rest assured that you will receive huge dividends in the form of driving fun and pride of ownership. You'll also draw a lot of attention and meet a lot of new people (in my experience, they are almost all men!).

I just took another look at the BAT pictures and noticed how nice your dash still is! That is VERY uncommon in any unrestored Europa!

r.d. enterprises is a great parts source but because they are closer and also a great source of parts and information, you should check out Dave Bean (209) 754-5802 (unfortunately, their website hasn't been updated since it was originally published).

Please keep us informed about how things go!

« Last Edit: Saturday,January 19, 2019, 08:12:37 AM by BDA »

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,January 19, 2019, 06:10:20 PM »
Hi John,

Time to get together and test our new toys. Vancouver Island has amazing roads, not much traffic (except Victoria) and beautiful scenery. We are the lucky few!

Kevin

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #6 on: Monday,January 21, 2019, 08:15:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum, John. It sounds like you landed a fine Europa, congrats. Lotus ownership can be a bit addictive, but your enablers await. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Online dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Monday,January 21, 2019, 03:32:16 PM »
 :Welcome:

Welcome John and fellow 70 S2 owner. Looks like you have a great start.
Good luck with it .
Dakazman