Author Topic: Elan birthplace!  (Read 1123 times)

Offline dakazman

Elan birthplace!
« on: Friday,February 15, 2019, 06:46:29 PM »
I think some of you my like this one. Some great nostalgia here. The Lotus factory circa 1963/4 Cheshunt.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Elan birthplace!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,February 16, 2019, 12:28:29 AM »
With the smallest Ford they made at that time, an Anglia 105E, in the bottom of the photo, showing just how small an Elan is.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,February 16, 2019, 12:45:41 AM »
Some more.

I thought the 3 together were mark 11s, but it seems not. 

Offline Roger

« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 18, 2019, 01:35:26 AM »
Mark 9s I think. The Eleven was always plain Eleven, no Mark.

Now I see on bigger screen, they are 11s.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,February 19, 2019, 05:32:23 AM by Roger »

Offline 4129R

« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 18, 2019, 12:26:33 PM »
The Lotus Eleven began production in 1956. The 'Eleven' was Colin Chapman's next evolution of phenomenally successful sports cars. The vehicle was dubbed 'Eleven' because it was the Mark XI and due to its 1100 cc engine capacity. The Eleven was built in three variations. The 'Le Mans' version featured a deDion rear axle and Girling disc brakes. The 'Club' version had a normal rear axle and drum brakes. The 'Sports' version was basically a 'Club' variant with a Ford 10 engine. The rest of vehicles were identical.

The Louts Eleven has been credited with securing Colin Chapman and Lotus in the history books as one of the greatest sports car manufacturers of all times.

The Eleven was a new vehicle, meaning its design and chassis did not borrow from previous models. A steel-tubular space-frame and stressed aluminum panels were used. The chassis alone weighed less than seventy pounds. The aerodynamic body was designed by Frank Costin and was hand made from aluminum.

This followed Collin Chapman's weight saving, effect, and scientific design principles.

The Climax engine was planted in the front of the vehicle. The 1100cc was capable of speeds in excess of 140mph. The famous race car driver Stirling Moss and 'Max' Fraser set closed-track world speed records at Monza running 143 mph.