Author Topic: Weather in North America this Winter  (Read 1329 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Weather in North America this Winter
« on: Saturday,February 02, 2019, 04:47:05 AM »
Over her in the UK we are just getting the cold weather, just like we did this time last year. An inch of snow stops just about everything.

We hear across the pond of -32'C, snow ploughs not working etc.

Can those of you in the cold bit let us know what it is like over there, and how you are coping?

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Weather in North America this Winter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,February 02, 2019, 08:18:13 AM »
Thanks for asking. Here in Princeton NJ the lowest temp this week was 6 degrees F. Really not as bad as the folks in the upper mid-West where it was minus 20 degrees F or more (real temp, not including wind chill).

Earlier in my life I was involved in the development of a large hotel in Minneapolis MN that took place over two winters. You knew it was cold when it hurt to breath outside and cars would not turn over (unless plugged into an engine block heater) at all. That is now my measure of cold......... does it hurt to breath?

Of course you can’t go by me at all. I’m the guy who camped outside in a tent in February at the Mont Tremblant Ski resort in the Laurentian mountains of Quebec Canada in order to afford a week of skiing. (College student with limited funds). It was so cold at night your breath would freeze and create ice crystals inside the tent. It looked like a light snow on top of your sleeping bag in the morning.

So no, it hasn’t been too cold.......

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,February 02, 2019, 11:30:20 AM »
I’m told it is +1 deg F where I live near Boston, but I escaped to Kaui’i Hawai’i just before the swirling polar vortex of death swooped in. I would be enjoying myself more if I wasn’t there worried about my pipes freezing back home.

Certified, I used to consult to 3M and can relate to your Minnesota experience. A tow truck would be waiting in the Holiday Inn parking lot to offer jump starts at $10 a pop. Your camping in Quebec requires more fortitude than I ever possessed. My only time experiencing frostbite was skiing at Mt. Orford, back in the days when skiing in jeans and wool sweaters seemed like a good idea. Even then I had a nice warm hotel to go back to.

Cheers,
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,February 02, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
Kauai, my favorite place on the planet. North Shore Tom?

Offline Arizona

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,February 02, 2019, 03:19:17 PM »
I've spent a number of winters in places like Montana and Michigan, and I spent two winters in Fort Yukon, Alaska, about 10 miles above the Arctic Circle. The first winter I was there ('68-'69) we had a record low of -76F/-60C. That was temperature, not wind chill. -40F/C and below was pretty common in winter. Here in Flagstaff, even at more than 7000' elevation I seldom see temps much below 0F. And the good news is, a famous prognosticator has today declared there will be an early spring. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/groundhog-day-2019-punxsutawney-phil-predicts-early-spring-n966151
« Last Edit: Saturday,February 02, 2019, 03:40:00 PM by Arizona »
George F. Johnson

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,February 02, 2019, 04:34:19 PM »
Sorry guys today 81f , that’s why I moved here . My record working outside cold was deiceing aircraft in an open bucket in -16f and a wind chill of -40. Then going home and shoveling 23 inches of snow out of my driveway.
Then the plow came and blocked  my driveway again.
Dakazman

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #6 on: Saturday,February 02, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »
Over here on Vancouver Island we might be getting our first real snow this winter (I live near the ocean, makes a big difference). I took my Europa out for a great drive today and then snugged her in into the garage for some fibreglass work. Too much snow, no play!

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

« Reply #7 on: Monday,February 04, 2019, 09:43:25 AM »
Too cold here today -7C. As my garage is unheated I'll be doing some small inside jobs.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Monday,February 18, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
No wonder you guys aren’t posting much, today is a record high of 89 f yes 89 f . Cleaned the pool and ready to swim.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

« Reply #9 on: Monday,February 18, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »
No wonder you guys aren’t posting much, today is a record high of 89 f yes 89 f . Cleaned the pool and ready to swim.
I love Florida but if we all moved there it would become a British car state. I'm actually very jealous. I'm supposed to be in Mexico right now but my wife has a few health issues that means we aren't traveling this winter. My wife comes before the Lotus... I'm trying to be a good husband! When is the Sebring 12 Hour race?