Author Topic: 0453R Rockledge Florida  (Read 15631 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 0453R Rockledge Florida
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday,October 16, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
A good candidate that I may try my hand at plating are the seat runners.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #106 on: Wednesday,October 16, 2019, 12:45:49 PM »
An obsession it truly is but also one that can be "shared".  I am seriously looking at nickel plating some of my parts as well as I progress through my rusty renovation.

As Certified Lotus and Serge have been my mentors in getting me started. I watched a video of serge cleaning some parts in vinegar , scrubbing with a wire brush to a decent finish. I used a heavy duty 8” wire wheel to remove rust. Then paint. Later,  Certified Lotus talked about plating and his choice for finishing small parts. So I watched the video below . The Vinegar being common denominator.

https://youtu.be/G-PtnwtOR24

I stuck with the nickel only, for best results and I just hope my efforts last. The,  off topic page has a thread on electroplating.

Dakazman

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #107 on: Wednesday,October 16, 2019, 08:40:49 PM »
D'man: After seeing your car in person and all the beautiful work you have done.  I am getting excited about your Europa vision.

Madness

Offline dakazman

« Reply #108 on: Thursday,October 17, 2019, 04:55:21 PM »
  Literarymadness,
     I wish I had the body fully painted.  But seeing the fiberglass cloth bleed thru into the final finish was something I couldn’t look at .  If your vision is Black , Chrome and shinny 😁😁😁👍👍 .
   My wife is still singing around the house. The neighborhood is now asking me, when are you going to be done? 
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #109 on: Thursday,October 17, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »
Fiberglass cloth is very difficult to "unprint." I had my car covered within cloth and I was told by the guy who did it that no filler could make the print go away. I suspect that a layer, at least, of gauze would be required to completely smooth it. As it happens, there are still some areas where the cloth is printing on my car. If I had seen it I would have tried a layer of gauze but I didn't see it.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #110 on: Thursday,October 17, 2019, 06:39:31 PM »
   I cut it out completely!
 People, please stop using fabric cloth fiberglass on the exterior panels. Save it for your surf board!

I hear the veil or gauze is having good results, but I haven’t tested it yet. I still need some work on my firewall maybe I’ll use it there for a test.

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #111 on: Thursday,October 17, 2019, 06:47:47 PM »
Veil or gauze works well. I covered my doors, boot, and bonnet and it came out nice.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #112 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 02:15:13 PM »
   This is entirely new . Some have used it before with good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyoaLrzh0Ho

BDA, what type did you use?

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #113 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 03:28:37 PM »
I got mine from r.d. Not about the type but I suppose Ray only has one "type." It's just thin fiberglass mat. You might be able to get it at a fiberglass supply house near you. Just doing a search, I found 3/4 oz/yard veil (or gauze) but I really don't know the weight I used. It might be better to just get it from Ray but asking around never hurt.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #114 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
That’s not the right video, somehow it was crossed Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KayTC3Yl5X4

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #115 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
Better! I was wondering why I cared about making fiberglass tubes! I don't know if the veil I used was continuous fibers but I don't think it matters. I think the idea may be to hold some resin son you you can make a smooth surface.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #116 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
   They also have a Kevlar veil !  Like I said it’s a new product. I love all their videos.
Dakazman

Offline gideon

« Reply #117 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 06:14:22 PM »
Glass veil - fine.  Kevlar veil - nein!

Don't ever try to sand into a Kevlar composite.  It goes fuzzy as all the little Kevlar fibre ends stick out of the sanded surface.  The more you sand, the fuzzier it gets.  Yeurghh!

And yes I am speaking from experience.

Offline yellow16TS

« Reply #118 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 02:48:53 AM »
Hi Dave, i am trying to work out how to get the throwout bearing off my 336 right now and i realized you are doing the exact same thing! After doing a forum search, your topic came up first haha!
I have a new bearing to fit , but i didnt buy replacement pins :( Im going to try and get the carrier and bearing off some other way.
Currently restoring 54/1103

Offline dakazman

« Reply #119 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 04:27:45 AM »
Hi Dave, i am trying to work out how to get the throwout bearing off my 336 right now and i realized you are doing the exact same thing! After doing a forum search, your topic came up first haha!
I have a new bearing to fit , but i didnt buy replacement pins :( Im going to try and get the carrier and bearing off some other way.

Hi 16,
 The easiest way is what JB mentioned . Drill two small holes it the back of the bell housing to locate the pins. Then enlarge and center. Make sure you have the pins at 90 degree angle viewed from the side. You may need to remove the spring on the housing. Once you do that tap out with a good punch . Mine came out one first blow. They probably could be reinstalled again .  I did buy a new set but I don’t see the need afterward.
  The tool I made probably would have worked however I did not have a proper sleeve .
Dakazman

« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 04:50:48 AM by dakazman »