Author Topic: EUROPE badge, Ebay UK  (Read 452 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
EUROPE badge, Ebay UK
« on: Tuesday,May 05, 2020, 08:34:36 AM »
I remember we were talking about S1's, badges and the very rare "EUROPE" badge. It seems someone has found one and it's on Ebay UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353068567852?ul_noapp=true

he's also got what must have been one of the first press packs....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Europa-S1-Dealership-Picture-of-Press-Car-SAR-857D/353068562173?hash=item523486b6fd:g:bEkAAOSwFFVesGpa

I bet those took some finding !

Brian

Offline jbcollier

Re: EUROPE badge, Ebay UK
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 05, 2020, 11:08:41 AM »
Europa/Europe badges appeared with the S2.  The S1 had the Lotus emblem upfront, two small commemorative shields on either rear wing and that's it.  One shield listed the '65 Indianapolis win and the other the world championship in '63.  The only mention of "Europa" is in the owner's manual and the service book.

The "Europe" badge is rare as it was only used in one/few juristictions where another company had trademarked "Europa".

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 05, 2020, 11:43:36 AM »
Two versions of the world championship shield badge: early (‘63 only) and late (‘63 & ‘65).  Might be that Europas only had the two date version.

Offline lahi

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 05, 2020, 10:58:41 PM »
Europe badge is that rare? 200 gbp rare? I have three I think that I got in a box of things when buying my Europas. Perhaps I'm sitting on a gold mine  ;D I'm keeping them btw  ;)

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 05, 2020, 11:02:46 PM »
Europe badge is that rare? 200 gbp rare? I have three I think that I got in a box of things when buying my Europas. Perhaps I'm sitting on a gold mine  ;D I'm keeping them btw  ;)

;)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 05, 2020, 11:39:39 PM »
Yes, they are a rare item and there's been a debate on "if/when/why/where" they came into existence on here before.  I've seen one for sale before and I reckon the seller of this one is asking all the money, but if your car came with one originally and you're a concourse man, then no doubt someone will pay the premium.

I think we decided they were only in existence for a short period and on a specific European export market so if anyone has them it should be you guys over the channel !

Brian

Offline lahi

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,May 06, 2020, 02:29:29 AM »
Yes, they are a rare item and there's been a debate on "if/when/why/where" they came into existence on here before.  I've seen one for sale before and I reckon the seller of this one is asking all the money, but if your car came with one originally and you're a concourse man, then no doubt someone will pay the premium.

I think we decided they were only in existence for a short period and on a specific European export market so if anyone has them it should be you guys over the channel !

Brian

Thanks for your explanation. I quite sure my car came with one originally as the car has stood still between 1973 and 2019 and wasn't touched at all. Locked in a barn. This cas is being restored to original condition so I will use the Europe badge  :)

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,May 06, 2020, 09:24:32 AM »
There's at least two early S2s in Vancouver that have the Europe badge.  I wish I had one for my car (4 cars younger than Lahi's), but at the price the Fleabay one is going for, I think I'll pass.