Author Topic: WTB: TCS Steering Column Switch Gear  (Read 525 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
WTB: TCS Steering Column Switch Gear
« on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 05:27:42 AM »
Hoping someone is breaking a TCS...I'm looking for the directional/wiper/horn switch assembly (Part #9 on page HA of the TC parts manual, part # 074M6019W) in good condition, or, perhaps, the whole column/switch assembly in useable condition (Item 8 on same page...I can/will refurbish).  Federal, obviously...cash in hand, etc. 

Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: WTB: TCS Steering Column Switch Gear
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 05:43:01 AM »
« Last Edit: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 05:51:09 AM by 4129R »

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 07:03:34 AM »
Can’t recall exactly, but the switches from a period Spitfire were somewhat different from my 74 TCS. Think the turn signal cancel was different and the mounting plate too. Had to swap the plate and cancel from old to new drilling out rivets and replace with screws/nuts. The wiper switch is different too, maybe the year I got as wrong, but the wiper speed locations on the stalk were different. I found that a 1972 Austin Marina wiper switch was a direct replacement, Lucas # 39819.

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 07:36:53 AM »
Coincidentally, I just (stupidly) had mine apart ('74TCS) and had to teach myself how to put it back together. That Rimmer part in the 2nd link looks similar, but the devil is in the details. See below. First, the TCS connector is square, not boat shaped and, more problematic, the self-cancelling cam collar spool on ours protrudes less and has a thicker wall in order to reliably catch the thin roll pins on our steering wheels. I don't think that black one would work.

Ron
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 08:05:46 AM »
I have always found that buying old parts that are really old can normally lead to more frustration and lengthy time delays. buy from a trusted source and if it doesn't fit you can always send it back for a refund

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 09:17:11 AM »
Bryan, are you dealing with one that isn't working, or is it that you don't have one period?

If it's the former, it might be repairable based on my dissection project. I took several photos and was thinking about posting a tutorial if you or others might be interested.

Ron
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 10:13:14 AM »
I believe the only difference between the Lotus and the Spitfire (later model, try '74 or so) turn/beam/wiper/washer controls is the mounting plate the switches are mounted to. I'm pretty sure (the only reason I'm not positive is that I did it several years ago and you know a geezer and his memory!  :P) that I replaced my Lotus switches with Spitfire units by just bolting the Spitfire units on my Lotus mounting plate.

If you do take the switches off the mounting plate, be sure to catch all the pieces that pop out when you open them up! They are rollers that actually conduct the electricity for the switch in different positions.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #7 on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 10:28:49 AM »
That's why I'm looking to source an original; what's on my car right now is the triumph replacement...and doesn't cancel properly, and the mount looks like the (D)PO just wrapped the top of the column with gaffer tape to make up the difference in diameters.

The electrical renovation is something I can handle; but I'm starting from something that was already replaced when I picked up the car.  Not high on the list of tasks to fix...but if one's out there...
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 10:52:49 AM »
Hmmm… I hope you find one but I’d expect one would be harder to find than an ashtray. You may have to borrow one to make your own copy.

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 11:25:01 AM »
This won't address your mounting diameter issue, but in case you can't find an original and feel like doing a little fabrication to fix the cancelling issue, this may do the trick?

The first photo is the same aftermarket Triumph part that is sold by several sources. Note the thin wall of the black bobbin as compared to the that on my car. That bobbin needs to rotate along with the steering wheel so that cam bumps on its internal sides can push the stalk plate back to neutral (cancelled) position.

On our cars the meshing of the steering wheel and this bobbin is accomplished by the two very thin roll pins on the back of the steering wheel fitting into the notches in the face of the bobbin. Other cars that the replacement was apparently made for must have another way to connect with the black bobbin, since the margin for error of our pins actually catching the sides of the notches is unreliable at the  best.

Therefore, one solution might be to fabricate a plastic sleeve to fatten up the wall of the thin bobbin. Again, only if you have to give up finding an original.

Ron
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,March 16, 2024, 07:14:08 PM »
Maybe a square delrin sleeve pressed on the stock round pins, less chance of slipping off the black Spitfire bobbin. Sort of like this.

Also, if I remember correctly the Spitfire turn high beam and flash to pass were wired differently. Just have to follow the wires in detail when chanding the plug.