Author Topic: A method for freeing up rusted seat rails - TCS  (Read 179 times)

Offline FourLoti

A method for freeing up rusted seat rails - TCS
« on: Tuesday,September 26, 2023, 10:36:08 AM »
Hi:

Thought I might share some good progress today on a project I've been dreading ever since I found that my abandoned '74 TCS had rust-welded pedals and seats that were all the way back and wouldn't budge. I luckily found a replacement pedal assy., but figured (correctly) that the rusted seat rails were another level of challenge completely - given that the lower rails are bolted to bobbins, not secured with nuts under the car as I understand some other models are.

First step was spraying WD-40 as far back as possible from the front in a hit or miss fashion, and from the inside edges with the seat cushions removed. Surprisingly, I was soon able to get the driver's seat to move again. But the passenger seat was not going anywhere no matter how much I tried to scoot it forward. The rubber seat bottom mesh is missing, but that doesn't help since the forward edge of the metal base is too thin to give any leverage to moving the seat.

I had an idea to use my table saw to cut a thin notch lengthwise in a 2x2 and slip it over the sheet metal edge to distribute the force of hammering it forward, but got lazy and decided to try to beef up the corners instead with two large C-clamps. Tightened securely with their edges sticking out from the sheet metal and thus the first point of contact. Then, after many 5 lb. love taps, the darned thing started to break free! Very slowly at first, but then more and more!

Now I'm looking forward to restoring the rails and accommodating passengers of various heights!  Will probably need to use this to get the driver's seat out as well. It's now stuck halfway!

Regards,

Ron

« Last Edit: Tuesday,September 26, 2023, 12:16:51 PM by FourLoti »
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1974 TVR 2500M
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline BDA

Re: A method for freeing up rusted seat rails - TCS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,September 26, 2023, 12:47:50 PM »
 :beerchug: Now it's time for  :BEER3:

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: A method for freeing up rusted seat rails - TCS
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,September 26, 2023, 12:52:20 PM »
I have had to drill out the 5/16" UNC bolts from underneath, they were so badly rusted.

On some, the bobbins lost their threads, so longer bolts, penny washers, and nuts below the body work just as well.

Just get the spacing between the rails bolted to the floor correct, put 2 or 3 washers under the fronts of the rails, clean up both rails so they slide, add copperslip when they are bolted in place, and all should go back together, and slide properly.