Author Topic: Wheeler Dealers Europa  (Read 288 times)

Offline buzzer

Wheeler Dealers Europa
« on: Monday,September 26, 2022, 12:33:58 PM »
As it's now been aired in the states. The Wheeler Dealer Lotus Europa.
I went with a mate with another Europa 250 mile round trip to Shelsley Walsh (an old historic hill climb dating to 1911).
First the Europa. It was an S2 with the Gordini mods so twin dellortos or webers  on crossflow head. Looked good at a distance. They didn't paint it but had the body off and added some decals and repainted the spyder chassis. The engine was totally rebuilt, still leaks oil tho. They did set up the suspension properly. Engined sounded good. The car was a good 10 footer but a bit messy in places.
There was a total of I think 11 Europas. so the largest number of  Europas in one place in the UK I've ever seen. A lot of S2's as well. So some good chat.
On to the filming. They allow 13 days to do a car and have to stick to that budget and will sort an easy car to compensate to one that takes too long. They had problems with the Europa! For filming they have director, sound, camera and extra mechanic. So Elvis does have help. On the filming on the hill climb they had a OBC team of another 10 plus people. Filming took all day and retaking all the chat from different angles including the sale which as expected is all pre-arranged. Mike was more engaging and with general chat(as a car dealer I suppose) and they were focussed on the filming. Elvis was just a quieter guy. I would have though there might have been more interest in the Europa but i didn't notice much myself. It was a fun day with food etc laid on but of course they got us all for free. They ran their Europa up the hill about 10 times. I have a few videos and will hopefully post on youtube.
Mike is certainly not a fan of Discovery and works with them because he has to basically. Very budget focussed I think. 
Mike was at the end doing another deal with the buyers to buy another car off him!
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BDA

Re: Wheeler Dealers Europa
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 26, 2022, 01:46:16 PM »
Great report, pictures, and collection of Europas! Is yours the black & gold Europa?

It didn't occur to me when I watched it on youtube but seeing Elvis in those sneakers (trainers for you Brits), I wonder how he was able to drive the car! Presumably, he changed his shoes or even took them off.
« Last Edit: Monday,September 26, 2022, 01:47:53 PM by BDA »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,September 27, 2022, 12:18:19 AM »
It didn't occur to me when I watched it on youtube but seeing Elvis in those sneakers (trainers for you Brits), I wonder how he was able to drive the car! Presumably, he changed his shoes or even took them off.

I wear indoor carpet slippers. Very narrow, and you have a good sensitivity for the clutch bite point.

Normal shoes are just too wide, and I am only a size 9 foot.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,September 27, 2022, 02:38:46 AM »
 Yes mine is the black JPS and Elvis did change his shoes and put on his racing suit to drive the car
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,November 01, 2022, 02:18:37 AM »
Was aired in the UK yesterday monday 31st on Discovery. they didn't cover in the show all that was done to the car. engine was completely rebuilt plus loads of other work. at least it had a shot of my motor in it.  :)
Dave,