Author Topic: Gearbox diff output shaft spacer problem. Help please.  (Read 425 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Gearbox diff output shaft spacer problem. Help please.
« on: Saturday,November 27, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »
On page 23 of the Lotus workshop manual, Fig 44 shows a cross section of the diff. In a circle above 2, there is the O ring, the splined spacer, and the shim, which go on each side of the output shafts, with the shims needing adding to get the roll pin to line up exactly when the driveshafts are attached.

2 of my gearboxes came without those spacers and the O rings were perished.

I had Scholar make up 6 spacers from the splined ends of 2 Renault drive shafts, with the proper groove on the inside to go around the O ring.

This spacer allows the driveshaft to be rigidly located on the output shaft to act as a suspension top link. It is a Lotus only part, it does not figure on the sliding Renault driveshafts.

Now the problem, I put new Renault O rings on the shafts, and the spacer does not seat flush with the gearbox output inner bearing ring, over the new Renault O rings.

Has anyone out there fitted these new rubber O rings successfully? The workshop manual seems silent on the subject.

Do I just hope the driveshaft will push the spacer over the O ring after the gearbox is in situ?  Do I put the O ring into the spacer groove and bash it carefully up the splines? When the O ring is in the spacer groove, you cannot see any splines on the spacer so it must be a very tight fit.

For anyone wanting the splined spacers (made from unobtainium) I have 2 spares, fresh from the engineering shop. I needed 4, and they were able to make 6 from the 2 driveshaft ends I got second hand from Holland (I think on JBC's suggestion). Cutting them from the splined ends was a challenge. Cutting the grooves in them for the O ring required a special ceramic tipped bit, as the driveshaft ends are made from hardened steel.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Gearbox diff output shaft spacer problem. Help please.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,November 27, 2021, 11:06:22 AM »
Yes, they can be very difficult to pop in place.  Use an appropriate sized tube and a long lever anchored to either chain or rope wrapped around the transaxle.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,November 27, 2021, 12:47:14 PM »
Yes, they can be very difficult to pop in place.  Use an appropriate sized tube and a long lever anchored to either chain or rope wrapped around the transaxle.

So you put the O ring on the output shaft and press the spacer over the O ring with a box spanner or tube and sufficient force from pressing the tube?

Offline Rainer

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,November 27, 2021, 01:03:40 PM »
As JB said they are very hard to press onto the O ring.
I changed the O rings on a customers S2 a few weeks ago, i greased the rings and used a tube and a good hit from a dead blow hammer.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,November 27, 2021, 01:39:53 PM »
As JB said they are very hard to press onto the O ring.
I changed the O rings on a customers S2 a few weeks ago, i greased the rings and used a tube and a good hit from a dead blow hammer.

Thank you very much for that info.

I am glad it is not just me that finds it difficult.

That help is exactly what this forum is for, sharing information from experience.

Offline Triton

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,November 28, 2021, 04:01:32 AM »
Are the splined spacers the same size for all gearboxes  .  Mine is a 352 box. The o rings i used  were  29mm  O/D  and  4mm thick, I put sealer in the  o ring groove in  the spacer and  pushed them on with a tube. I measured the splined shaft before and after to make sure they were in place.  Stuart......

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,November 28, 2021, 07:09:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure they are the same.  While the spacer is listed in the S1 parts book (under transmission: crown wheel and pinion), it is not shown in the TC/S parts book (!?).

Offline 4129R

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,November 30, 2021, 03:54:08 AM »
I put the O ring on the output shaft, put grease around the lip in the spacer where is goes over the O ring, and used a box spanner over the shaft, two sharp blows on the box spanner with a 3 lb hammer, and the spacers are now firmly back in place.

It seems the Lotus Workshop manual needs updating a bit to add in all the problems we incur 50 years after the car was built.

I bet they didn't expect so many to be in pristine condition 50 years later.