Author Topic: WTB Clear Windshield  (Read 341 times)

Offline toysforever

WTB Clear Windshield
« on: Wednesday,May 19, 2021, 10:28:09 AM »
Looking for a clear windshield for my S2. Have been searching for a Pilkington supplier to buy new, but it appears as if no one in the USA is able to locate one for me. Any assistance would be helpful.

Offline Chuck Nukem

Re: WTB Clear Windshield
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,May 19, 2021, 10:43:36 AM »
The windshield was discontinued recently in the states. There were some rumblings about a group buy on here to bring some over from the UK.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,May 19, 2021, 11:35:14 AM »
 :Welcome:  toysforever!!

Chuck is right. Pilkington no longer sells Europa windshields in the US. IIRC, the final cost from England is about $1200 shipped (hopefully somebody will check me on that). It's possible that your insurance might cover that. If not, there are other options. There are lots of places that make custom windshields. Some of them advertise windshields for any foreign or domestic car (https://vintageglass.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=4). There is also a company that will make a windshield from another windshield. I saw a video about that that was very interesting. A company in California does it (http://kottoautoglass.com). They are set up for in-person service, of course, but they may be able to help you out at a distance too. I think another option is a polycarbonate windshield. I think there are scratch resistant films that can be put on the outside to keep it from getting too scratched.

Let us know what you end up doing. 

Offline gideon

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,May 19, 2021, 01:19:09 PM »
toysforever,  :Welcome:

You should read this thread to get up to date on a group buy discussion and to register your interest -

https://groups.io/g/LotusEuropa/topic/e_lotus_europa_windscreens/80518330

Personally, I hope that one or more businesses step into the hole left by the closure of Pilkington Classics in the USA.  It seems to me that they could have raised prices a bit to keep that business profitable, rather than shutting shop.  I'm sure it's not just Europa owners who will have to pay a much higher price for a windshield now.

Offline toysforever

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,May 19, 2021, 01:24:10 PM »
Chuck & BDA

Thank you for the insight. I would definitely be interested in knowing of a UK source that would ship. And would also entertain bundling more than one together, if there is interest, to try to help reduce the shipping cost per unit. $1200 is much better than one quote I have received at $2700 so far. I will also look into the vintage glass and other methods. Perhaps a forum member will happen to have one also. I am trying to explore all the options.