Author Topic: europa s2 alternator direction?  (Read 423 times)

Offline mike alain

• 5 years to build (with help)
europa s2 alternator direction?
« on: Monday,February 15, 2021, 05:12:12 AM »
Folks,   I HATE  voltage regulators, and have changed my alternator to a gm   1 wire unit,  (real easy),  ..but.. now I am wondering if I screwed up with the
direction of  the driving belt, on MY installation the belts go counter-clockwise, on all my other project cars the alternator went clock-wise,  do alternators
work in both directions???  I know I will have an issue with amps meter, will try and find a volt gauge that 'looks''   like a lucas unit.  I am still a few weeks away from a start up.    Thanks  Mike.

Offline rascott

Re: europa s2 alternator direction?
« Reply #1 on: Monday,February 15, 2021, 09:59:46 AM »
my basket had a delco(gm?) alternator with it, and it confused me also.
i have since replaced it with one from my suzuki.
i even mocked up a bracket to run it in the "right" direction, to see if it made any difference- saw no difference.
it seems to work fine, running "backwards".
i found the p.o. made the delco work with the stock mount and appropriate bolt/washers.... i made a mount for the suzuki one.
i'll be interested in what you do, and other's experiences.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Monday,February 15, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »
In a front engine application with an engine driven rad fan, it does make a difference.  You do not want want the air flow through the alt to be opposed by the air from the rad fan.  In a Europa, it's not a problem as there is no competing air flow to worry about.

The bad news is that you still have a voltage regulator, it's just inside the alt now.  Brand new from Delco and they are really good.  Many of the aftermarket rebuilds can be pretty dire.  I bought three in a row from one company and they were all duds.  One came "rebuilt" with a bent rotor shaft !?!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 15, 2021, 05:59:29 PM »

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 15, 2021, 09:29:11 PM »
I’m in the middle of doing my electrical and dash refurb and thought I would share my research.
Dumping the original alternator (my recollection is that my original alternator would only supply about 40A). Also dumping the voltage regulator, amp meter (it never seemed proper to run heavy wire to the dash just to measure charge current) and the extra high current wire to the dash.
I’m converting to LED lighting, new radiator fan, new cabin blower and an electric water pump. With all this stuff on, it looks like a 60A alternator is plenty.
Using a 3-wire design gives me an idiot light to let me know if the fan belt is broken or the charging system is amiss.
I’m going with a 60A Denso 3 wire per the links below. It’s smaller, lighter, delivers more current and does not require an external voltage regulator. They are new online at less than $100. I’ll need to fabricate some mounting pieces and get the correct size pulley.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/need-help-wiring-a-denso-alternator.1102850/
Dimensions here:    https://www.amazon.ca/CHEVY-MINI-ALTERNATOR-WINTERS-RICHMOND/dp/B005MKB0LQ
Approximate output curve (93mm) here:     http://www.billavista.com/tech/PDF_Index/files/Engine/Powermaster%20Starters%20and%20Alternators%20Catalog.pdf
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!