Author Topic: LOG 38  (Read 2154 times)

Offline BDA

LOG 38
« on: Wednesday,August 15, 2018, 08:16:00 PM »
I expect some of us made it to LOG 38 and hopefully got to see Andretti's 79, Black Beauty - and the last Lotus F1 Championship car. Also hopefully, some of you took some pictures.

Please feel obligated to tell us all about it in a post and also get Lotus Joe to add a gallery for LOG 38 and you can post your many beautiful pictures so the rest of us can vicariously enjoy your experience.

:lotus:

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: LOG 38
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 05:51:32 PM »
With my Europa restoration on hold waiting for the body to be completed, I took my Elan S1. The road trip to LOG38 started on Thursday morning with two other Lotus Elan owners traveling through the back roads of the Allegany mountains. It took two glorious days to get to LOG38 with 600 miles of winding roads, lots of elevation changes and hardly any traffic.  I'm embarrassed to say that I got to speak with only a few Europa owners during LOG but it wasn't for lack of trying.  Every time I went to someone's Europa they were in deep conversation so I thought I would just come back. Well, before I knew it the day was over and with me being in the Elan section of the concours I had more than enough conversations going on. The return trip was two days of mostly rain but still a fun drive.  Total drive was just over 1000 miles and my 64 Elan S1 ran without a hitch (just don't ask me about the water leaks in the driving rain).Here are a few photos for those that didn't get to come to LOG38. And I'm pleased to say I won three first prizes for Elan S1/S2, Scale model and small photo. Hit the trifecta!

It was great to see the 79 again. Too bad it caught fire during the track day on Monday.

The several photos of the black Europa twin cam is a rare 1600 mile original car. It was pristine!

« Last Edit: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 06:27:53 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 05:57:46 PM »
More Photos:

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »
Left Angle's spectacular Europa.  I came back three times to talk to you, twice you had lots of people asking questions and the third time you weren't there!  Bummer. Maybe LOG39 when I will have my Europa running and you will have finished yours?

« Last Edit: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 06:24:32 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 06:09:41 PM »
 :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »
The Elan group going to LOG and the Elan group returning from LOG. Plus a panorama of the concours field.

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 06:49:57 PM »
CL:  Sat next to your son at dinner and watched you juggling those awards.  Super job!   
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »
Mmmm, my two son’s weren’t there. Some one claiming to be related to me?

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #8 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 10:05:20 PM »
My bad.  I was told by someone the young man to your left was your son.   He wasn’t very talkative and we’re all first timers so everyone was unknown to us.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #9 on: Friday,August 17, 2018, 04:52:31 AM »
How was your first LOG LeftAngle? Did you enjoy it?

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #10 on: Friday,August 17, 2018, 08:40:16 AM »
Great photos, thanks for posting. I'm glad you enjoyed the LOG experience, and had a good time travelling to and from. I road tripped my Europa to LOG 33 a few years ago and had a blast.

And I'm pleased to say I won three first prizes for Elan S1/S2, Scale model and small photo.
Just curious, do you build scale model cars?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #11 on: Friday,August 17, 2018, 09:38:11 AM »
I build scale model cars, boats, gliders, RC Formula one Cars. I won first prize for my Lotus Garage diarama with a Lotus Exige S on the lift.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #12 on: Friday,August 17, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
I am excited to hear LOG 39 will be in Massachusetts!  :pirate: (Sturbridge? Springfield?) Anyway, too close to have any excuse not to go. Hope to meet many of you there!
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #13 on: Friday,August 17, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »
CL:
Did I enjoy LOG38?   Remarkably enjoyable!  Do you remember the bit where a guy puts money into a coffee vending unit, pushes the button and coffee starts pouring out behind the clear plastic door?   And after it stops, the cup drops into place?

That about sums up what happened to me.  I went to LOG 38 knowing no more than what was on Lotus inc’s web page and what I read in the blogs.   I knew the schedule of when things were happening, a couple of meals I was going to eat and where I’d be sleeping.   Other than that, I went  in blind.

I didn’t know about a mini concours, that “open bar” meant there was a meal with food that went along with it or that there were a multitude of categories where a car might be entered into the mini concours that better fit its type.... That is, until yesterday when my August reMark arrived with the LOG38 event guide on the back half. 

However, I met Ray D my go-to supplier of old and upgraded parts. Met and enjoyed the company of the Vacarros, who I find are only two degrees of separation from me and many, many other friendly and easy to engage with people.

It’s something I could be easily talked into doing again. 
I’d love to come back next year, but Massachusetts is on the other side of DC and I’ve never found a time where hauling a trailer anywhere near there is a good idea. 

I’m reminded of Stirling Moss’ quote at the 1955 Mille Miglia after passing a stalled (I believe) Lotus 6 at the side of the road. “Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence."

My bravery might be overtaken by intelligence next year, but maybe LOG40?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #14 on: Friday,August 17, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »
Thanks for posting your stories and pictures, guys. Glad you had some great weather for the event.

Sorry to here about the wet ride home, certified but the wins probably made up for it.

Dakazman