Author Topic: S2 - Trying To Get My Fuel Tank In  (Read 1335 times)

Offline andall

S2 - Trying To Get My Fuel Tank In
« on: Sunday,August 13, 2017, 12:24:16 AM »
I decided to refit the Banks Europa fuel tank after seeing only 3 of the 4 mountings used, and the horror of seeing it hanging an inch below the bodywork. We tried to fit it higher today but couldn't get the 4 tank lugs to fit flat against the GRP bodywork. The lower forward one needs a spacer of 15-20mm between body and tank lug to bolt it in place. In its current position, the tank no longer sticking out below the bodywork. However, the tank's filler neck doesn't line up with the filler cap so I can't use the rubber joining hose. I'm out of ideas apart from the thought that the tank's the wrong shape, and the PO got a twin cam tank instead of an S2 item.
I've included some photos to show what I mean:

Offline FranV8

Re: S2 - Trying To Get My Fuel Tank In
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,August 13, 2017, 05:21:05 AM »
That doesn't look like a twin cam tank, they go vertically up.

Offline andall

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,August 13, 2017, 07:58:14 AM »
Oh well, looks like a call to Banks Europa is in order.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,August 13, 2017, 09:17:32 AM »
From what I can gather, this is the first time you are trying to fit the Banks S2 tank. I believe all all S2s have their gas tanks on the left hand side. My spare tank shown has three mounting tabs on the outboard side of the tank and one on the inboard side. Banks mounting tabs may be off compared to the stock tank. The stock tank also is somewhat sits on  the bottom of the tank. 

My suggestion is to fit the tank so the rubber tube is in line with both the filler connection and tank tube opening and re-drill new mounting holes in the fiberglass. I had to do the same thing on my TCS with custom aluminum tanks.

Offline johnmi

« Reply #4 on: Monday,August 14, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »
Just fitted two new tanks from banks and I had the same issue with the bottom lug not fitting to the body, so i just put spacers in. The original hose would not fit either so I used the flexible hose from viper performance which has to go on as you mount the tanks. It needs two people to do it one underneath slowly lifting the tank and one to get the hose on to the filler neck. It just finishes flush with the bottom of the car.

John

Offline andall

« Reply #5 on: Monday,August 14, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »
Thanks guys - it seems my expectations were too high, thinking the tank lugs were in the right place - silly me! I'll be unbolting the tank, bunging P40 in the existing holes and fitting the rubber filler neck first before  drilling new holes.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Monday,August 14, 2017, 12:39:26 PM »
This was a while back but I remember that a regular electric drill and bit was too long to fit in the gas tank compartment and that I had to improvise using a "T" handle reamer to get a tiny hole formed from the inside. Then use the regular drill to enlarge the hole from the other side. A right angle pneumatic wrench with a short drill bit may also work. This was for a TC tank which has the four mounting lugs on the inboard side. I think the S2 tank may have the same issue. 

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2017, 02:56:42 AM »
I fitted two new Banks tanks to my S2 last year and it was tricky but, as others have noted it is important to line up the rubber hose first and then 'make the lugs fit the car' using new holes and spacers where required.  it is a two man job.