Author Topic: Introduction from new '73 Special owner  (Read 8931 times)

Offline kiwiokie

Re: Introduction from new '73 Special owner
« Reply #30 on: Sunday,February 05, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
Well I discovered just how dumb I am today.  After fighting to get the front bolt out of the seat rails when removing the seats I was at a loss on how to get them back in.  I read the section of the workshop manual which suggests sliding the seat forward to remove the rear bolts and backward to remove the front bolts but there rear firewall prevents the seat sliding backwards far enough to expose the front bolts and installation is the reverse of the removal. Just like every other car I have worked on. 

After looking at it for some time I wondered if it would be possible to install the rails then bolt the seat to the upper rail.  Then it dawned on me there may be enough room to slide the seat entirely forward off the rails.  Sure enough the rake of the seat allows the seat to slide forward off the rails without bumping up against the steering wheel.  Seats now in, easy peasy.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #31 on: Sunday,February 05, 2017, 07:07:05 PM »
For anyone else that gets stuck on this here is the orientation of the rails and the hardware I used.  This is the passenger side so the RHS of the picture is the front of the car.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #32 on: Sunday,February 05, 2017, 07:10:53 PM »
While the seats were out I installed the reverse lockout from pboedker.  The gearshift boot was too stiff which lifted up the lockout rendering it always unlocked so I installed a small spring to apply some downward pressure.  Not the prettiest but functional.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #33 on: Sunday,February 05, 2017, 07:14:57 PM »
Once I get the doors back on the next project is replacing the modern stereo with something more period correct, new door speakers and reinstalling the interior door panels.  Might also change out the old incandescent interior and dash bulbs for LEDs.  Looking forward to getting Lilly back on the road again!

Offline BDA

« Reply #34 on: Sunday,February 05, 2017, 07:16:24 PM »
She's coming together nicely! And you have an ashtray!!  :)

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #35 on: Sunday,February 05, 2017, 07:46:27 PM »
Thinking ahead, does anyone have advise on fastening the rocker panel trim?  The upper lip was secured with double sided foam tape on my car.  Is that the recommended approach for keeping that lip flush with the body?

Offline BDA

« Reply #36 on: Sunday,February 05, 2017, 08:21:31 PM »
I believe r.d. enterprises sells a kit that includes a replacement chrome strip (which I don't think required the attachment clips listed in the parts manual). There are clips to attach the bottom of the panel (they are in the parts manual. I don't remember them but that was a long time ago) and the ends are pop-riveted into the wheel arch. I remember that, as you describe, the top was attached with badge tape.

Offline pboedker

« Reply #37 on: Monday,February 06, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »
While the seats were out I installed the reverse lockout from pboedker.  The gearshift boot was too stiff which lifted up the lockout rendering it always unlocked so I installed a small spring to apply some downward pressure.  Not the prettiest but functional.

Hi John,

I actually had another buyer with the same problem. It appears my own gearshift boot is old and flexible whereas a new boot is much stiffer and would like to 'sit low' as in your photo. The length of the reverse lockout was made to fit the lengths of my gearstick and gearshift boot so that the rubber clips into the groove at the top. I can see that the lockout handle would need to be shortened to fit a new boot.

I took some pictures of my shifter and had an email correspondance with the other buyer which I will try to fill in below to explain what can be done to make the reverse lockout 'disappear' inside the rubber boot.

I hope that helps.

"In neutral, the distance between the liftup handle and the nut/gear knob is 30mm. The rubber boot is stretched some, it helps keep the liftup handle down when in neutral, but it can still be lifted easily.

You can just pull the liftup handle through the top of the rubber boot or insert it from the top. That way you can experiment with how much it is too long and/or how much the rubber boot will stretch. I was expecting that the gear sticks and boots could be of different sizes, and the length of the tube itself is not critical, as long as it is pulled downwards in neutral and the driver must positively lift it to clear the bracket when selecting reverse.

I attach another photo of the rubber boot top pulled down a little on the liftup handle. The rubber boot actually doesn't shrink very much but instead lifts the handle a little. The photo is with the gear stick in neutral, but it only needs a tiny bit of lifting to clear the reverse gate bracket."
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday,February 08, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
No worries Peter, I am very happy with the reverse lockout and the spring is not a deal breaker for me.  As my shift boot softens I may be able to ditch the spring in the future.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #39 on: Sunday,February 12, 2017, 12:42:02 PM »
Well I have officially given up on the RD Enterprises hinge kit and ordered the Banks brass hinges.  Being all stainless, the RDE hinge is certainly an improvement over the stock hinge but I could not get the upper hinge tightened without it pushing the door out of alignment.  Horizontal alignment was fine but the upper door and window frame would push away from the body as I tightened the upper nut.  This job would be so much easier if the hex head on the threaded insert was able to be held from the inside with the door closed!  I wonder if the factory used a bent wrench to hold the insert by someone on the outside with the door closed while a person seated inside tightened the nuts?  Trying to guess the closed horizontal alignment with the door open is very difficult.  I hope the Banks kit works better on my car!

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #40 on: Sunday,March 05, 2017, 07:42:03 PM »
Thanks to some help from BDA I have the Banks hinges installed and the doors are looking much better.  I have to tweak the horizontal alignment on the drivers side and the vertical on the passengers side and I am done.  Thank goodness for that.  What a miserable job.  I ended up epoxying 220 grit sandpaper to the bobbin side of the large washers just for good measure.  Also included some pics of Garry's handiwork on the suspension.  I feel fortunate to have this car.  He did a great job on it.

Offline BDA

« Reply #41 on: Sunday,March 05, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »
Glad I was able to help! So are you ready to drive it? How about some pictures of the car?

:lotus:

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #42 on: Wednesday,September 06, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
Still finishing off my stereo installation and then have rocker trim to put back on.  While the door panels were off I sealed off the opening for the wiring tube to reduce draft and noise.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #43 on: Wednesday,September 06, 2017, 06:28:19 PM »
And filled in gaps around the window trim.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday,September 06, 2017, 06:41:52 PM »
Bought a set of Boston Acoustics 6.5inch 2-way speakers off eBay.  Interior trim panel holes had been cut too big to install the speakers and I have never liked grills sticking out from the door front.  Bought some 1/4" ABS sheet and made some spacers and mounted the speakers to the door then the trim will be punched to let the sound through.  Also added plastic drape to keep rain off and foam cup for driver.