Author Topic: House remodel  (Read 17203 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: House remodel
« Reply #105 on: Thursday,April 08, 2021, 06:25:45 PM »
   Chuck , an old boat builder cautioned me years ago to where a mask when working with mahogany
Its density absorption in your lungs is deadly.
  The cabinets look great. So should that front door.
X2 what Gavin said , but only the checking in on your progress.  The puns are killing me.
Dakazman

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #106 on: Thursday,April 08, 2021, 06:42:36 PM »
   Chuck , an old boat builder cautioned me years ago to where a mask when working with mahogany
Its density absorption in your lungs is deadly.
  The cabinets look great. So should that front door.
X2 what Gavin said , but only the checking in on your progress.  The puns are killing me.
Dakazman

Thanks for the tip Dman. I noticed it left a little rash on my arms when handling the rough material. I try my best to always wear a 3m mask while working with dust. My scare with bondo and car paint was too close for comfort....

Offline BDA

« Reply #107 on: Thursday,April 08, 2021, 06:43:02 PM »
That door should look great when it’s done!   :beerchug:

I bet it will look even better because you’re that much closer to painting the Lotus!

Offline GavinT

« Reply #108 on: Friday,April 09, 2021, 10:40:13 PM »
Door is looking pretty schmick, Chuck.

Are the rails and stiles glued or mortise & tenon?
Just a tip - usually it's good practice to position the clamps alternately over and under the panel to even out the forces. Otherwise they sometimes cause the panel to cup.

(Of course, it's much to late to say this now)

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #109 on: Saturday,April 10, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »
Door is looking pretty schmick, Chuck.

Are the rails and stiles glued or mortise & tenon?
Just a tip - usually it's good practice to position the clamps alternately over and under the panel to even out the forces. Otherwise they sometimes cause the panel to cup.

(Of course, it's much to late to say this now)

Thanks Gavin

It is difficult to see in the picture but we did 3 clamps per rail 2 on top and one on bottom to help with cupping. Door came out pretty flat. I'm fortunate my friend has a 36" drum sander so we can feed the entire door through it to fix minor issues. I should have used veneered plywood for the center panels. There was minor bowing in the solid planks...

I used a festool domino machine to make the tennons. Luckily the local makerspace has one so I was able to borrow it (I loathe the place but it does come in handy from time to time)

Offline GavinT

« Reply #110 on: Saturday,April 10, 2021, 12:09:43 PM »
Ahh, you're right, Chuck . . I didn't see the other clamps.

The Domino system is supposed to be really good, though not cheap, especially for the amount of tenons I'd do these days.

I like the centre panels. I might be weird but the homogenous nature of ply can also look too perfect.
If the boards have bowed a little, it might have occurred from the door lying flat on the bench while it was gluing.

If the door is placed on edge, the moisture levels might return to normal. Otherwise, there's always the spritz one side with water and stand them in the sun routine. Just as long as the centre panels aren't glued in solid.

What's a "makerspace" ?
Is it something like our "Mens Shed"?  . . which is a community based thing where guys go to yack with other guys and perhaps work on their various projects. It's also popular with SWMBO's as well because it get's the guys out from under her feet.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #111 on: Sunday,April 11, 2021, 07:56:45 AM »
Its a refuge for the city bound tinkerers who do not have the space or funds to purchase their own tools. In theory its a great idea. Everyone pays a monthly fee to use a warehouse full of all kinds of tools imaginable. They even have a CNC mill which is where I taught myself the ropes. Everything from woodworking, blacksmithing, welding, machining, ceramics, 3d printing, etc. They have a lift so you can work on your car.

The problem is the reality of organizing something like this...there are members who have to volunteer to chair each committee and the people who volunteer for such responsibility tend to also enjoy a good power trip....

The guy who chairs the machine shop banned me 3 times for various crimes against makerspace. Once I left a program in the memory of the machine because I was not aware of his rule to delete it after use.... I was then banished for leaving some chips in the valley of the chip conveyor (not running it after I washed the machine down entirely). He was a truly petty guy.... What kills me is that the place is full of dipshits who turn on blowtorches and set them on the table and walk away....

So I took the easy way out and bought my own machine so I wouldn't have to deal with him anymore.  ;)

I left the panels floating in the door so that should be ok. I just got my lock set yesterday so hopefully there will be some progress this afternoon.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #112 on: Sunday,April 11, 2021, 10:02:37 PM »
Crikey . .
It's amazing how those little empires get built and they're almost impossible to challenge . . by design, of course.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #113 on: Sunday,April 11, 2021, 11:03:10 PM »
Its a refuge for the city bound tinkerers who do not have the space or funds to purchase their own tools. In theory its a great idea. Everyone pays a monthly fee to use a warehouse full of all kinds of tools imaginable. They even have a CNC mill which is where I taught myself the ropes. Everything from woodworking, blacksmithing, welding, machining, ceramics, 3d printing, etc. They have a lift so you can work on your car.
Anybody this side of the pond aware of any facilities such as this, if so where are they and have you actually used them yourself?   

Offline gideon

« Reply #114 on: Monday,April 12, 2021, 05:34:26 AM »
There's a map of some (but not all?) makerspaces here

https://www.hackspace.org.uk/

The closest one to you, according to that map, is in Telford.  The website says they are closed due to lockdown rules and the list of equipment isn't very extensive, but on the plus side they have a knitting machine.

https://telfordmaker.space/

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #115 on: Saturday,June 26, 2021, 09:02:40 PM »
Door is almost done....two months later! Had some distractions like usual :) Hopefully I will have it installed tomorrow!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #116 on: Sunday,June 27, 2021, 03:47:31 AM »
That looks great!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #117 on: Sunday,June 27, 2021, 04:31:07 AM »
    Chuck, you can take a bow!
 Just beautiful!

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #118 on: Sunday,June 27, 2021, 06:51:16 AM »
Good job! Is there something you can’t do? I bet you can’t knit!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #119 on: Sunday,June 27, 2021, 07:44:14 AM »
Thanks guys! I have been living with a beat up metal door for the last 5 years and it is one of the last eye sores from this house.... Besides my front yard which looks like I restore cars there :welder:

Good job! Is there something you can’t do? I bet you can’t knit!

Finish projects on a timeline  :FUNNY: :FUNNY: