Author Topic: Lotus F1 "The tobacco years" type 72  (Read 46160 times)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Lotus F1 "The tobacco years" type 72
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday,January 27, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »
I love the artist renderings. Thanks Lou.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #76 on: Sunday,February 28, 2016, 06:06:31 AM »
Revolution to evolution...Two back end images on how the 72 chassis was to evolve.

A good understanding of development can be seen...materials, position and function. From the purpose built early trials on the grid at Hockenheim to the "Batmobile" look....ld

Offline BDA

« Reply #77 on: Sunday,February 28, 2016, 09:37:13 AM »
A lot of changes during the 72s tenure including treaded tires to slicks!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #78 on: Sunday,March 27, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »
Then and Now...

A special thanks go out to Classic Team Lotus for the preservation of this iconic machine.
 Today, as in days passed, showcased and driven through the skill and unique determination of all involved at the workshops under the supervision of Clive Chapman in Hethel. Thanks for keeping the memories alive!

ps...Katusaki Kubota pilots the 72 at the FIA Masters F1 at Spa

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #79 on: Friday,April 22, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »
Belated Birthday Jochen Rindt...April 18 1942

A detailed look of the first air box configuration, and the triple element wing used on the race ready 49 in the back round.ld
« Last Edit: Friday,April 22, 2016, 06:32:12 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #80 on: Friday,April 22, 2016, 06:39:02 PM »
 :happy-bday: Jochen!

It's interesting that this car has those NACA ducts but they went away in later versions.
« Last Edit: Friday,April 22, 2016, 06:43:03 PM by BDA »

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #81 on: Saturday,May 28, 2016, 08:25:06 AM »
Although there have been subtle changes to the circuit, Monte Carlo has remained the jewel to F1's famed calendar. As we saw in this morning's q3...a millimeter can make all the difference. Just ask Max Verstappen.

Back in 74...It was Lauda's Ferrari with a pole time of 1.26.3
Today, Ricciardo nailed a 1.13.622....That's a little more than 3 tenths faster per year for 42 years.

The winner then...Ronnie Peterson with the type 72.     

Offline BDA

« Reply #82 on: Saturday,May 28, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »
Great picture of Super Swede! The next (and last) Lotus win at Monaco was Senna in 1987.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #83 on: Thursday,June 02, 2016, 05:52:42 AM »
Having captured the 1967 Swedish Formula 3 championship, Reine Weisell was hired on at team Lotus to replace John Miles after his leaving in the wake of Jochen Rindt's death. His Formula 1 career spanned only 23 races and scored a total of 13 championship points. His best result... a 3rd at Watkins Glen occurred in his first race driving the 72 behind eventual winner Fittipaldi and Pedro Rodriguez in a BRM. He later campaigned for BRM and private entries in a March before leaving racing in 1974.

Offline BDA

« Reply #84 on: Thursday,June 02, 2016, 06:43:42 AM »
Thanks for the photos of one of the more obscure 72 drivers. That got me curious about John Miles and why he left Lotus. He had a dreadful time even while Rindt was blowing everybody away. He was a very successful driver prior to his stint with Lotus so it seems that he just may not have been suited for F1.

Offline 3929R

« Reply #85 on: Monday,June 06, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »
 :coolpic:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #86 on: Thursday,June 23, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
They say that imitation is the purest form of flattery. During the 73 season, Lotus was in a ding dong battle with Tyrell. Both teams trying to out due each other in the quest for the championship. Here is a rare comparison shot of the 005 Tyrell with  Francois Cevert testing a wedge nose almost identical to the 72...It did not meet the teams expectations and was never raced.

Meanwhile, back in the pit lane for the final race at Watkins Glen... It was to be Jackie Stewart's 100Th GP...Sadly, Cevert was killed during Saturdays practice and the team decided to withdraw in honor of their driver.

(footnote)...I walked to the top of the esses that night, and happened to find a shard of Cevert's car...I still have it!   

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #87 on: Friday,August 26, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »
I just read an old Motor Sport article..."Breakfast with John Miles"... where he was discussing that fateful weekend in Italy in 1970. John had arrived late for breakfast, sitting next to Jochen eating a hard boiled egg. He said..."I can't drive the car that way!"...Jochen replied "don't worry you'll be alright.

You see..earlier on Friday, Colin had decided that the only way to really go fast was to remove the wings on the 72. With the help of mechanics Dick Scammell, Eddie Dennis and Beaky Sims, Jochen's car was made ready. On track that day, Miles recalled how Jochen flew by him while entering the Curva Grande and almost leaving the track limits at Ascari. The decision was then made to alter Miles' 72 for Saturday. When John arrived for the morning warm up there sat his car...less front and rear wings. A third car for Emerson was effectively trashed on Friday with a suspected brake shaft failure at the Parabolica. The crew spent the overnight repairing the damage and were completely exhausted.

John follows Jochen on his installation lap and notices Jochen's car twitching violently under braking. He returns to the box and tells Colin that the car is "evil" and won't drive it this way. Colin replies "Do as I say"...and tells John to head out again. The moment had arrived, word comes from the track that Jochen had crashed. So Colin asks Miles to go see what's happened. Unfortunately, the marshals have the track closed at the end of the Lesmos.

Though no definitive answer was found, a post-crash examination also showed a front brake shaft failure...similar to what caught Emerson out on Friday. Colin and Maurice Philippe were aware of the recent failures but, Miles was convinced...it was time to retire.

Was it the brake shaft?...no wings?...Jochen not using crotch belts?...
As we have learned from airline incidents, it's a combination of all these issues -  the "Cascade effect"

As a footnote...The previous race at Zeltweg Miles retired after only 4 laps with a left front brake shaft failure...In my humble opinion it was the root cause for the accident, but having the crotch belts most likely would have spared Jochens life.   ld
« Last Edit: Friday,August 26, 2016, 06:55:10 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #88 on: Friday,August 26, 2016, 08:18:12 PM »
Thanks again for the (painful) memories, Lou! The movie, 1, did not go into nearly that depth about Jochen's crash, but in it, Eddie Dennis says that Jochen asked that the wings be taken off. Memories can certainly fade after forty years and given Chunky's penchant for going for the bleeding edge, it sounds in character for him. Miles said in the movie that without the wings, the car was undrivable to him and it was the only time he was really scared in a race car.

A couple of other points: In 1, John Barnard states that the first job of a car designer is to make the car fast (left unsaid was that safety was secondary). Also, I'm reminded how Regazzoni crashed heavily at Long Beach, ending his F1 career, when his titanium brake pedal broke. One of my engineering professors was appalled they would allow titanium to be used in a welded critical piece like that. But for those caught up in it, it was all about how to make the car fast and safety was secondary. It wasn't just Barnard, or Chunky, or Rindt. Ironically, Jochen may have been the first driver to refuse race a car (Lotus) because he didn't consider it to be safe. Whoever made the decision to take the wings off - it was done when Jochen and Lotus had a nearly unassailable lead in the championship.

As for not wearing the crotch belts - I wouldn't be surprised if that had been the final determining factor. Racing harnesses were not commonly used then. I believe it was Mansell in the movie who said that the idea was to get thrown clear in the case of an accident. I'm certainly not in a position to disagree, but I did read that when Gurney was driving his magnesium tub Eagle, he was acutely aware that if he got a flat, his car would likely catch fire and it would be impossible to put it out. He said he chose not to wear belts so he could get out quickly if he had to, but that may be a distinction without a difference.

Watching 1, I am impressed that so many fatalities could have been avoided by using simple safety equipment and employing reasonable track marshalling even without the fancy carbon fiber tubs that protect drivers so well now.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #89 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 08:36:24 AM »
A very interesting post, Lou. I have always been intrigued by that particular incident, and the conflicting stories on what really took place.

BDA, I'm not sure I have heard of the movie 1. Is this a documentary? Approximately how long ago was it released?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor