Author Topic: TC Brake Master Cylinder - Spitfire  (Read 602 times)

Offline Roger

TC Brake Master Cylinder - Spitfire
« on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 02:05:15 AM »
When I  rebuilt my TC 9 years ago I fitted the Nissan M/C that several others had used.
All was fine until yesterday, when it stopped playing nicely and spat a bunch of fluid out, leaving no front brakes. Not good!
I had already read articles about the Spitfire M/C so I  have ordered one, and I think it should be an easy replacement. I have a question, thoug h.
With my Nissan M/C I installed remote Reservoirs,  and I think I'd like to keep them. What remains on the Spitfire cylinder after the reservoir is removed? What kind of pipe, cap, or whatever can be fitted to accept fluid from a remote reservoir, please?

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: TC Brake Master Cylinder - Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 07:22:53 AM »
If you look at the picture of the Spitfire M/C with the reservoir removed, you'll see that there is almost no space to clamp a remote reservoir fitting. The only safe way to install a remote reservoir is to tap threads into the reservoir fitting boss for a threaded nipple. The hole diameter is around 0.75".

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 08:56:38 AM »
You don't have to drill/tap the body of the Triumph m/cyl to fit a remote reservoir, you can use the rubber seals that are already fitted for the Triumph wedge shaped reservoir.  You'll have to hunt around for fittings, I can't remember if they are 8mm or not, but they are available. I used 90 deg plastic elbows which fit closely to the m/cyl body, the 1st photo shows the overhead view & adapters during fitting to my Elan.

There is no problem with sealing because it's the same system as with the reservoir, but there is obviously one of potential impact damage knocking one free. The obvious one is to securely fix the tubing to the remote reservoir to stop vibration, etc.   With the Europa I made a small aluminium shield over the inlets which utilized the same split pin fixing from the OEM reservoir.  I think something like that is essential unless you have the spacer that seems to be present on the export cars  because as you can see they are very close to the steering rack bellows on a UK car. 

Although there is clearance I didn't want any chance of interference, hence the shield - which stops you seeing the adapters, as in the second shot. 

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 11:44:05 AM »
Brian, leaving the adapter unsupported or secured to the master cylinder is my biggest worry with the remote reservoir. I will admit the possibility of it getting knocked out or off is pretty remote with the closing plate in place but I'm a worrier and I still believe the fitting should some how be secured.

A solution just came to me. I'll mock up a rough prototype which should work and post some pictures.   

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 02:38:08 PM »
I understand your reticence Joji, I had similar thoughts when starting out on that conversion.   As with all these mods, once you step away from OEM you've got to be happy in your own mind about the conversion you're undertaking.

I took some comfort from the fact that similar things are standard parts with other manufacturers.  The adaptors I used on the Elise m/cyl installation are standard parts from the Fiat X/19 m/cylinders and when initially looking for candidate m/cyls I saw quite a few VW ones with plastic elbows in rubber seals - they even had a range of angles, just the wrong diameter for me.

Offline Roger

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 04:19:14 PM »
Thank you both, Joji and Brian. All is clear.
Given that my car is LHD, and with the extension, there's a ton of room. I may fabricate a bracket to hold the adapters in place.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 10:14:41 PM »
It sounds like you'll be in a better position than installing on a UK car Roger. The other thing I'd do is fit a low level switch in the remote reservoir if you don't already have one. At least that way you get a dashboard warning light whilst you still have fluid left to apply the brakes. I did that on both cars, just in case y'know....   ;)

Offline Roger

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,April 25, 2018, 02:22:19 AM »
Thanks Brian, good tip!