Author Topic: Metal Trap for Oil  (Read 1131 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Metal Trap for Oil
« on: Sunday,April 01, 2018, 10:59:22 AM »
Me again.... Question:  Does anyone have experience with or info about attaching a magnet to the end of the oil draining bolt on an aluminum oil pan?  Shouldn’t be metal particles floating around, but “shoildn be” is the operative phrase.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline BDA

Re: Metal Trap for Oil
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,April 01, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
I've seen magnetic oil drain bolts in parts stores. I've even used them a time or two in spite of people saying they were a wasted effort. They were. They are more useful for things like transmissions.

I have also seen oil filters that incorporate a magnet but I'm not sure that really makes a lot of sense. The one thing you can safely say is that they don't hurt and might help a little.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,April 01, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »
Agreed more useful in a transaxle but the magnetic tipped dipstick in my Ducati single snared a large piece of plating from a refinished rocker that I geatly appreciated being restrained. 

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,April 01, 2018, 06:54:44 PM »
Regular run of the mill auto parts stores carry them.  Nothing unusual about it.  I think they are usefull to see if there is an excessive buildup between oil changes.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,April 01, 2018, 10:47:21 PM »
Standard fitting on the old British mini where the engine & transmission shared the same oil IIRC and every oil change used to present me with worrying amounts of iron filings.

Burton sell them in the UK for the TC engine sumps. It's one of those things that you shouldn't need for the engine (Ford sold millions of engines without them) but it's one of those things that shouldn't do any harm and might save you in a situation like JB has mentioned.

Have I got one ? Nope. Would I fit one ? well if I had to buy a new sump plug then I'd buy one with a magnet on it.....  and probably worry every time I removed it  :)

Offline HelpMyLotus

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,April 03, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »
Every time I pull the drain plug on the Cooper I'm shocked at the 'tree' of metal I find in it.  1) we run the same oil for the engine/trans/diff so there is expected to be more.  2) I have a bad syncro in 2nd so I miss a shift on occasion but I do my best.    The tree is mostly just fine dust and wipes down to a paste. 

In short, I recommend putting a magnetic plug in any car.  Why not take every precaution you can?