Author Topic: S1A-pocalypse  (Read 12848 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

S1A-pocalypse
« on: Saturday,November 08, 2014, 05:49:55 PM »
Well gentlemen with out further delay I am pleased to present to you the newest member of my family. An S1A cut down in the prime of it's life.

I can't believe what a stroke of luck I had as it was less than 30 miles from my house. I hope I can find out more about the car. Unfortunately the vin was removed so until I discover scrawling on a door frame I will remain in the dark.

Supposedly it was taken apart in 1975....and sat as it does now with one exception. The previous owner cut the frame out of the body in the early 2000's and from the looks of it that is where my job is going to start...The body is hacked up pretty good. The frame is a write off. I am going to take a page out of Roddy Mac's book and do a tube frame on this one. Don't expect much for a while though, the TC arrived first and is going to be finished first! I have gotten myself in to a love triangle now...

She is lovely to look at though...

Serge, I am going to need some help from you brother!

I officially joined the nut house today  :trophy:
« Last Edit: Tuesday,January 14, 2020, 10:02:13 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline BDA

Re: S1A-pocolypse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,November 08, 2014, 06:30:40 PM »
She obviously has a lot of potential and will be a great project but Chuck, you're in deep now! An S1 AND a TC!

Good luck and try to give us pictures when you can.
 :lotus:

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,November 09, 2014, 07:46:14 AM »
The Europa seems to have a life cycle matching that of the Cicada. Emerging every 17 years from their resting places to prey upon an unsuspecting host. There is no known cure for the bite of the Europa, but usually the host will survive, by investing all it's spare time & money loving & nurturing it back to it's original beauty. Having been bitten twice you will have to be especially careful to fend off the dreaded Europa killer, (they usually resemble a wife or significant other). But do not fear, you are in excellent company here!

Good luck & keep us posted, especially if your symptoms worsen!  :FUNNY:

Great find!!!  :trophy: 
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 09, 2014, 07:56:34 AM by blasterdad »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,November 09, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »
The serial number is also on the frame.  In the S1's case, it is on a plate riveted to the right frame "Y" near where the seatbelt anchor brace fastens.  There is also a body number marked on on the "water gutter" in the engine compartment under the rear window.  Unfortunately, the body number and frame numbers do not match.

Any old registration documents with the frame number recorded?  Old license plate you can do a registration search on?  If you can find the original number, there are new ID plates available and adding the number to the frame is simple as well.

An early S2 frame can be easily (moderately) modified to S1 spec.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,November 09, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »
I do have an old Texas plate from 1970. I will check the frame more thoroughly next time I am by it. Jbcollier, I hope you don't mind me asking you a few (thousand) questions along the way! That is very good to know about the S2 frame. By early S2 do you mean type 54? The more time I spend with this car the more I appreciate its construction. The body is far more robust than the twin cam. Here is a good interior shot to share the horror with you all. I really don't have much to work with. Would an S2 front section graft in there? I fear that it would be too different. I have some of the pieces that were cut out but I am sure that most is missing.

I have just about everything excluding the tail lights...which is unfortunate because I know what people ask for those...

I am really looking forward to this one.
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 09, 2014, 09:54:43 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 10, 2014, 08:34:24 AM »
Any S2 frame will do but the earlier ones with the straight rear upper a-arm match right up.  The later style with the offset rear upper a-arm just require changing the a-arm locating-tubes, not a big deal really.  A 54 front body section "should" match up but the raised headlamp pods of the 65 won't (depending on where you are cutting).  Besides, 65 headlight pods on a 46 would be an abomination and would undoubtedly lead to some sort of wretched existence in the after-life.

Your dash looks way better than mine.  On mine the gauges were all corroded and unusable.

The S1 body is much, much stronger, and better built, than the S2 and TC bodies.  I don't know much about it but I believe the S1, and perhaps early S2, bodies were not manufactured in house and, therefore, not subject to the usual Lotus production economies.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #6 on: Monday,November 10, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »
I promise the forum that no bastardized S2 high headlamp wart speckled front end will ever find its way on to this car as long as I live!

I was only planning on replacing the sections that were removed. For the front of the car that is essentially the footwells and the front section of the tunnel. So much material was cut away under there that the nose of the car sags a bit. How closely does that part of the car form to the frame? When I get a frame could I possibly just fiberglass around it? Here are some more detailed shots of the front underbelly.

I feel that this area is the major crux of the project.

Does anyone know offhand what the reasonable torque/hp limit of the 336 transaxle is? Not that I am planning anything ;)
« Last Edit: Tuesday,November 11, 2014, 07:07:32 AM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,December 03, 2014, 04:54:18 PM »
I got the title today and it looks like the mystery is solved! The car is 460392! Found at last! I will have to email Andy at lotus and find out the scoop on my car. It looks like it might have been red at one point. I also got the TAIL LIGHTS!!!! :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: Dodged that bullet!

It looks like the S2 and S1 have different bodywork in the lower front/wheel well compartment. I will have to rebuild mine from scratch.

Its all I can do to keep from drooling all over those Carello tail lights...they are like wonderful little sculptures

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,December 03, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
Congrats x 2!!! :pirate:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,December 03, 2014, 08:47:17 PM »
Congrats on the lights!

Lots of photos online of what an S1 should look like for when you go fix the body.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,December 03, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »
Thanks a million JB! That clears a lot up!! It looks as though I may not be too far off after all.

Does anyone know what kind of wheels are on that white S1B? I think I saw that exact car for sale on ebay a few months back and really took a liking to those wheels.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,December 03, 2014, 09:48:29 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,December 04, 2014, 05:01:02 AM »
This white one:

http://lotus-europa2.com/picview.asp?page=460323

Those are the stock steel wheels, hub caps and trim rings.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,December 04, 2014, 06:59:42 AM »
Sorry, I meant this white one https://www.flickr.com/photos/minors-family/sets/72157629091242925/

I have the stock wheels

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,March 31, 2019, 01:46:21 AM »
Chuck, How goes the restoration? It has been 5 years. I have a Type 54 chassis that needs front "T" metal work. I am replacing it with a Spyder Chassis. Would you be interested?
« Last Edit: Monday,February 17, 2020, 04:44:47 PM by LotusJoe »