Author Topic: Looking for an AC car ... or a retrofit  (Read 595 times)

Offline vh2q

• Whitworth Arms
Looking for an AC car ... or a retrofit
« on: Wednesday,March 15, 2023, 09:34:38 AM »
Living here in central TX, one needs AC for about 7 months of the year. I already own a car without AC and don't really care to repeat that mistake. I think I have seen two Europas with AC in 10 years and they were basket cases. I suspect also that these ancient AC systems are not reliable or effective.  So probably need to retrofit. Any leads appreciated.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Looking for an AC car ... or a retrofit
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 15, 2023, 12:54:50 PM »
Once you have the compressor mounted, the rest is pretty straight forward.  What Europa do you have, Renault or TC powered.  Any engine mods?

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,March 15, 2023, 01:41:07 PM »
I'm in Phoenix and know what you mean. I put a/c in mine. A Vintage Air Mini Gen II fits behind the dash and replaces the heater at the same time. Unit is lighter than the stock heater and contains a heater too. A/C control is were the ash tray was. I bought an A/C crimper for the rubber lines then sold it when I was done. Used Vintage air hard lines on all of it. If it's diy it's reasonable. If you are paying for labor this might be expensive, it is a bit of work.

Offline vh2q

• Whitworth Arms
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 16, 2023, 08:10:44 AM »
Thanks all. I don't have one yet ... still looking. Pref a TC. I have a flare tool .. run copper inside some sort of rubber for insulation?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 16, 2023, 12:02:33 PM »
If you go the TC route then you need a double front pulley so the AC belt tension is not applied to the water pump bearings.  Or, use an electric water pump for the same reason.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 16, 2023, 12:20:10 PM »
Thanks all. I don't have one yet ... still looking. Pref a TC. I have a flare tool .. run copper inside some sort of rubber for insulation?

Vintage air makes many lengths or bendable aluminum tubing with O ring ends. Much nicer and lighter than copper.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,April 23, 2023, 06:56:22 AM »
I have a friend who lives in Irving that has a dealer installed AC on his car. We are looking at copying parts from that install. Sports car world also has two examples of Europas with dealer AC. What part of Texas are you in?

Offline Clifton

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,April 23, 2023, 09:56:34 AM »
I have a friend who lives in Irving that has a dealer installed AC on his car. We are looking at copying parts from that install. Sports car world also has two examples of Europas with dealer AC. What part of Texas are you in?

How cold does your friends car get inside?  If it was dealer installed it was R12. R134 in an R12 system usually barely cuts it. I converted a dealer installed 240Z and used a newer parallel flow condenser. Over 105* was too much to keep the cabin cool.

I just re did two of my aluminum hard lines I had run inside the frame. After 3 years one leaked at the sleeved weld. Ran the new ones under the frame this time and they are high enough to be safe. #8 and #10 lines.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,April 23, 2023, 10:23:25 AM »
I made my own lines using SS tubing and silver soldered fittings.  Hose shops can make up the flex lines required at either end.

Offline vh2q

• Whitworth Arms
« Reply #9 on: Monday,August 28, 2023, 08:57:14 AM »
Sorry guys, I have not been checking the forum as I got sidetracked by a Karmann Ghia (for my wife). May come back to AC Europa at some time in the future but have my hands full right now.