Author Topic: Clutch Stuck  (Read 376 times)

Offline Triton

Clutch Stuck
« on: Sunday,April 17, 2022, 02:28:46 AM »
Advice needed please.  I have a 73 TCS and the car has been laid up over winter, I have started it every couple of weeks but never put it in gear. Got in the car today and will not go in gear. I have left it running to get warm and tried starting it in gear to see ii it would clear . If i get a friend to hold the clutch down and i get a thin blade knife between the pressure plate and flywheel through the timing mark hole and try and loosen the plate would that work. Any ideas welcome, I am loath to pull the box.  Thanks  Stuart.....

Offline jbcollier

Re: Clutch Stuck
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,April 17, 2022, 05:02:00 AM »
Fully warmup the car.  Push it out of storage and point it down a clear road.  Engage second gear and start the car.  Depress the clutch pedal and keep it depressed.  Rock the car hard with the throttle until the clutch breaks free.  Now stop and use the brake to slip the clutch a bit to clean things up.

Did this lots and lots over the years.  Worked every time.  The problem is that you live in a humid climate and mild corrosion is forming between the metallic components of the clutch lining and with the flywheel of the pressure plate.  Add a bit of clutch release and slip to your winter start-up routine.  Even better, get a dehumidifier for your storage area.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,April 17, 2022, 09:12:20 AM »
John's method will certainly work but you might not have a clear road to play on.

What I've done over the years.....

1. heat/cool cycles, really soak the engine for a few minutes until fully hot & then cool. Sometimes the clutch will break free if you simply depress the clutch pedal with a broom stick (or similar) and rock the car in gear by hand.
2. The variation where instead of rocking the car you just hold brake & clutch pedals down hard and start up in gear. Point away from walls if you wish but with the brakes on the starter motor isn't going to move the car. (well, at least it shouldn't  ;)  )
3. My variation on John's method is to put the rear of the car on axle stands so both wheels can move. Start up in gear, wheels move, balance brake & throttle until it comes free. My last ditch option because I don't like heading down a road without being able to release the drivetrain and this always works. Plus you can do it safely in the garage even if the car is only inches away from the wall.

Brian

Offline Triton

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,April 17, 2022, 09:28:23 AM »
Thanks for your advise John and  Brian,  I have freed it. It is a bit awkward to try it on the road where i am. I lined one of the raised parts on the pressure plate in the slotted hole for the timing marks on the flywheel and ground the end of an old power hacksaw blade to a razor edge. I got a friend to press the clutch pedal in and i managed to push the blade through between plate and flywheel. I was quite surprised how it worked so well. Thanks again Stuart....

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,April 17, 2022, 03:29:12 PM »
This happened to me a while back. With the engine off, I put the car in gear, held the clutch pedal down with a broom handle braced against the door jam, and vigorously rocked the car front to back until it came loose.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,April 06, 2024, 04:35:20 AM »
Thanks for your advise John and  Brian,  I have freed it. It is a bit awkward to try it on the road where i am. I lined one of the raised parts on the pressure plate in the slotted hole for the timing marks on the flywheel and ground the end of an old power hacksaw blade to a razor edge. I got a friend to press the clutch pedal in and i managed to push the blade through between plate and flywheel. I was quite surprised how it worked so well. Thanks again Stuart....

Thank you very much for that tip.

4688R had a stuck clutch plate. I adjusted the cable very tight, jammed the pedal down with a broom handle to the drivers seat, and used a kitchen table knife to slide between the plate and the flywheel. It took 2 goes, presumably 180' apart, but after a lot of cranking in 1st gear, the engine started and the clutch plate freed itself.

Luckily I did not have to take to the main public road. Best done on a private road or a dry field. My sloping lawn was damp, so I had to use my sit on John Deere lawn mower to tow the Europa to a place on the field where it could get traction. With 185 front tyres, the lock is appalling, but I managed to get the car back on to my gravel driveway in front of my garage.

When cranking the car out of the garage in reverse, it did stick in reverse, but another couple of cranks in gear, and it freed itself. They don't like being cranked in gear much.

Online dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,April 06, 2024, 02:07:12 PM »

Luckily I did not have to take to the main public road. Best done on a private road or a dry field. My sloping lawn was damp, so I had to use my sit on John Deere lawn mower to tow the Europa to a place on the field where it could get traction. With 185 front tyres, the lock is appalling, but I managed to get the car back on to my gravel driveway in front of my garage.

LMAO  LOVE THOSE JOHN DEERES