Author Topic: AGO40 Dunlop Alignment Tool  (Read 458 times)

Offline kram350kram

AGO40 Dunlop Alignment Tool
« on: Tuesday,April 06, 2021, 07:25:31 PM »
Obscure question, but has someone used this particular alignmnent gauge/tool?
I inherited this tool, set it up on the front and seems to work per the instructions. However when setting rear toe, since the mirror moves from drivers side to passenger side (left hand steering USA car).... I have read on another site that if the alignment figure reads positive toe, in reality it is actually negative toe, and vise versa. Any input appreciated.

Offline jbcollier

Re: AGO40 Dunlop Alignment Tool
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,April 06, 2021, 08:41:21 PM »
I have used one for years at my place of work.  When I retired, I bought one for myself.  If the mirror and the target are in front of the tire, then use the readings as normal.  If behind then reverse the readings, as in a toe out indication is actually toe in.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 06, 2021, 08:42:43 PM »
I have a Dunlop alignment rig. When checking the toe in the front, negative toe is negative toe, but it is reversed for the rear because you have to set it up %u201Cbackwards%u201D because you can%u2019t sight through the body.

The other thing to remember is that the toe reading for the rear is not necessarily in relation to the center line of the car. You are merely measuring the angle between the two wheels. A trip to an alignment shop or using one of the methods that ensures your angles are with respect to the center line should be used first and then using the same thickness of washers on both sides would then ensure that your changes will continue to be around the center line.

edit: added that the same thickness of the washers needs to be added to both sides of the rear.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 07, 2021, 12:25:04 PM by BDA »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 06, 2021, 08:45:06 PM »
PS: Remember to check the gauge’s calibration first every time.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,April 07, 2021, 12:09:59 PM »
Thanks for the input! After all the mods I have done to the half-shafts and transmission install, I was relieved to see my mock up alignment is at least in the ball park.