Author Topic: Vibration  (Read 1175 times)

Offline phil

Vibration
« on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 11:57:55 AM »
Hello all,
Took the TC out for a quick run today, there is a lot of vibration, when moving off, not only through the shifter but also the whole car, which seems to ease off when revved a little. I have moved the clutch cable some time ago onto the new bracket on the engine, which stopped the judder. Gear linkage parts have all been replaced.
Could it be the engine mounts, and possibly the gearbox ones also?

Thanks

Offline BDA

Re: Vibration
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 01:17:49 PM »
You might want to check your motor mounts - not only your flex mounts but also the fabricated mounts bolted to the block. I've seen more than one develop a crack. I would check your tranny mounts, too.

Does the vibration happen when it's idling or when it's driving or both? Does the engine run smoothly?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 09:07:16 PM »
Can you describe the vibration?

Is it just a noise or something you can feel?

You feel it in your seat?  Steering wheel?  Through the shifter?

Does it vary?  With road speed?  Engine revs?

Any specific period?  Say between 55 and 65 mph?  Or, 3500 to 4500 rpm?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 10:39:42 PM »
Hi Phil,

Like the others have said, my first port of call would be how the engine/gearbox is mounted, especially if the vibration is present when stationary with the engine running.

The rubber engine mounts are usually first to fail but as BDA says, the steel extensions and where the mounts themselves are bolted on the chassis. My chassis developed rust in that area and was quite thin, not normally seen because it was on the wheel arch side.

It's also worth checking the security of the two braces to the crossmember while you're there although I doubt those would be such a big deal.

Then move back to the gearbox mounts. Sometimes the steel insert disbonds from the rubber but for me that didn't give a lot of vibration, I only found it when I was pulling the car apart  :-[

If the vibration is not present when stationary but only when moving then I suppose anything in the rear suspension could be at fault, lower link bushes/UJs/radius arm front mounts, etc. That's not very helpful I know but I'm afraid it's just a case of plodding through a checklist until you find the culprit.

Brian

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 11:32:34 PM »
What about rigging up a battery light and using video mode in your camera in the engine compartment. Maybe remove the rear tray. Tape the camera in different positions to see what is going on...

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
« Reply #5 on: Sunday,April 04, 2021, 06:29:47 AM »
How long has the car been standing ?
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it

Offline phil

« Reply #6 on: Monday,April 05, 2021, 09:04:18 AM »
Hello All,
Took it out again, the engine is running fine and it has not been standing long.
It starts to vibrate about 1500rpm even when staionary, the gear knob vibrates badly and when moving along at any speed it still vibrates, holding it will stop the noise though.
Thanks
Phil

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Monday,April 05, 2021, 09:29:55 AM »
Hi Phil,
If it seems worst around the gear lever and even when stationary, is everything tight on the linkage or maybe catching on something - exhaust, etc ? I noticed you said the linkage had been renewed, was the vibration the same before you started on that job ?
Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Monday,April 05, 2021, 09:40:00 AM »
Good.  You’ve eliminated u-joints, tires, etc.

Now put it on ramps and go underneath and check the gear linkage for play, see if it touching anything and check your drivetrain mounts for rubber failure, cracking, etc.

If you find nothing get your beautiful assistant to rev the engine while you look underneath.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #9 on: Monday,April 05, 2021, 01:27:12 PM »
Is it just the gear lever that's vibrating?  Mine does this as the bushes at the base of the gear lever are non- existent (I have some brass ones still waiting for me to fit them).  Evidence that this is the case is you will be able to rotate the gear lever on its axis.

Offline phil

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,April 07, 2021, 08:54:40 AM »
Hello,

Just checked things over with a helper, tracked it down (hopefully) to the centre pivot on the bell housing, I thought it was done when everything else on the linkage was sorted, obviously not!!  Have ordered all the bits from SJS and hopefully once fitted the problem will be over.
Phil

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,April 07, 2021, 01:08:36 PM »
Good to hear you've got a solution. It's amazing how far noise travels in these cars !

Brian