Author Topic: Favorite Race tracks  (Read 232 times)

Offline dakazman

Favorite Race tracks
« on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 03:28:03 PM »
 I've been collecting a lot of layouts of world famous racetracks lately for some extra decorations around a shadowbox . 
  My favorite is Riverside international speedway in California. I have loved that layout and still to this day have my set of HO cars and track to set up four lines of racing. Some of these track setups are listed on ebay for 2 grand.  Still not selling it and all my aurora cars.
   Sadly I learned that that track has been deactivated since 1989. It has become a MALL .
  So what is your favorite?
Dakazman

Offline Richard48Y

Re: Favorite Race tracks
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 05:22:05 PM »
Willow Springs.
Still there and far enough away from big developers to be reasonably safe well into the future.
If you off you raise a lot of dust but there is very little to hit.
An off-camber corner and another that goes invisible until you enter it keep things entertaining.
Downside is that somehow is has come to be a very long trip for me to get there.
Used to be so much closer, when gas was cheaper and I was younger.  ;)

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 08:49:36 PM »
Living in New Orleans when I was racing, there weren't many tracks that were close enough to race on often but I did get to drive a few that were far away. I took Bob Bondurant racing school at what used to be called Sears Point. That was a nice track. My second driver's school was at Road America in Wisconsin. That is a fabulous track. Sadly I was only there for one weekend. I raced at the long gone, Mid America, near St. Louis. That was pretty good. I most often raced at Texas World Speedway, which is also no longer there. I also raced (pretty poorly) at Road Atlanta one weekend. It was the old track with the infamous "Bridge Turn." It was at the end of the back straight which dipped dipped a bit and then rose about thirty yards or so to the apex of the turn, then the track fell a couple of hundred feet. At the bottom of the hill before the turn, you're at your maximum speed. I would brake WAY too early for the turn because my mind would not truly believe how well brakes work going uphill and there was nothing I could do in that weekend to convince it! By the time I was at the apex, I was probably going 30 mph! It was embarrassing!

Of the tracks I raced at, I'd say Road America was the best. Of the tracks that I've watched a race at, I'd say Road Atlanta is the best for viewers and it's very good for racers (although since they redesigned the "Bridge Turn", it is missing what was it's most challenging and intimidating feature). I've watched several races at Virginia International Raceway and I've toured the track (many rears after I quit racing so my mediocre skill was surely greatly diminished skill and may color my opinion) I thought it seemed a very challenging track - maybe as challenging as any I drove on. However, it's not great for the spectators in my opinion.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 10:46:31 AM »
Interesting  topic. I Googled the number of permanent road race courses in the US and the list is mindboggling. There are some I've never heard of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_auto_racing_tracks_in_the_United_States

I retired from racing motorcycles back in 2007 just before the period of new tracks coming on line a few years later. I believe Miller Motorsports Park opened a couple of years later. I raced most of the "classic" tracks around the country and my favorite was the old Sears Point track in Sonoma followed by the old Road Atlanta before all of the changes made to the track for safety reasons. I never did Daytona or Brainerd in Minnesota. D'man bringing up the now long gone Riverside track brings up some great memories of that great historic track watching some Can Am races back in the 80s. My race club did the last race on Riverside before it closed down for good. It was sad to see the bulldozers of the encroaching development just a couple of miles away.   

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 04:22:15 PM »
  I selected this topic to bring some awareness to visit and support some of the local tracks.
I’ve been across the street at the airport for the last 10 years, making sure Delta’s aircraft got out for the races. Hearing the cars is truly music and that’s all I did.
  I now want to see a race in person! So I pulled up. Race tracks Florida and found this.
https://www.hotcars.com/florida-awesome-race-tracks/#sebring-international-raceway
  Now I have a real quest.😀
 Before they all disappear.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 04:30:23 PM by dakazman »