Author Topic: Sometimes it pays to be at the right place at the right time.  (Read 490 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Sometimes it pays to be at the right place at the right time.
« on: Tuesday,July 18, 2023, 11:34:38 AM »
Sometimes it pays to be at the right place at the right time. Like Pfreen on his tool score I came upon a similar situation. A local Lotus owner flagged a Facebook post advertising a S2 frame for free. Not being able to resist a free Europa part, I went down to take a look at the frame. The photo shows a pristine S2 frame with very little rust, no damage and most of the red primer. According to the owner, a race/vintage/fabrication shop, if no one claimed the frame, it was going into the full dumpster outside. It needed to be gone since he had to move out of the shop within the next two days. As were talking, I noticed a Bridgeport vertical mill and power shear standing right in the middle of his empty shop. He noticed me looking at it and asked me if I was interested and said he'll sell it for $2500. As a bonus  he'll throw the power metal shear in for free. I didn't think too long about it and a couple of days later the mill was in my garage. The mill transport from the race shop to my garage is a distance of around 40 miles. I ran into second bit  of good luck. The heavy machinery mover that the race shop owner hired to move the mill was also a Bridgeport mill owner. During our discussion on the cost of the move, I offered him the power shear for free since I had no room for it in my garage. I believe he had quoted a price of $400 for moving the mill but offered to move the mill for free in exchange for the shear. The guy was good. He managed to move the 2000 pound mill off his flatbed transport with a forklift and finally into my small work space in the corner of my garage with dollies and a pry bar. That Bridgeport is huge.

The first hurdle I ran across is that the Bridgeport was wired for 208VAC three phase power. Since I had the garage already wired for 240VAC I just had to figure out how to get three phase power to the mill. Viewing a lot of Youtube videos, I decided that my best choice was to go with the Variable Frequency Drives (VFD) sized for my power requirement. This is my current situation. Until I get the mill powered up I won't know what condition the rest of the mill is in. Visually, it appears to be in very good condition. One good add on to the mill is a very early form of CNC control panel. Again, without power I won't know if it actually works. IF it doesn't, the manufacturer is no longer in business but there is a company that still sells parts for the electronics so I may not totally be SOL. The worse case is that I operate the mill on full manual like the olden times.

When I picked the mill up, I was not actively looking for one. For the previous three months, I was taking classes on machining with my local Makers Space. I had just taken a four hour orientation class on the manual vertical mill. At the conclusion of the class, I was still far from being able to operate the mill solo. The class was on just getting familiar with the controls and we did a couple of operation on removing metal. With my personal full size mill, I can learn on my own without fear of damaging someone elses $40K piece of equipment. I'll post progress reports in case anyone is interested in machining

Offline BDA

Re: Sometimes it pays to be at the right place at the right time.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,July 18, 2023, 11:58:18 AM »
Vey cool, Joji!! Very few of us would have such an offer and even fewer would have a place for it - not to mention your taking a milling class! That is so good that if I (we) didn't know you better, I'd say you were making it up!

Congratulations on your good fortune! Now you can start buying cutters and accessories for your mill!

A buddy of mine (Electrical Engineer) built his own power converter. I would tell you how he did it if I knew but knowing him, he didn't spend much money on it. If you're interested, I'll ask if he has plans or anything on it.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,July 18, 2023, 12:13:48 PM »
I am envious Joji!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,July 18, 2023, 06:59:55 PM »
I really wasn't looking to buy a full size or any mill for that matter. This opportunity just happened to fall in my lap. It was affordable and easily transportable (free transport). My plan was to take the machining class at the local Makers Space and once sort of qualified on their machinery to use them for my projects.

BDA, thanks for the offer but I just ordered the VFD for around $200. This should allow me to power up the mill and assess its condition. As I said earlier, even used totally as a manual mill without the CNC functions, it will be money well spent. For those wanting to learn how to operate a lathe or any fabrication equipment ,a Makers Space is a good place to learn. Not cheap but affordable to learn machining skills without forking out any initial money for equipment.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2023, 03:54:36 AM »
Nice score!  :pirate:
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2023, 05:56:23 AM »
Great find!! Enjoy it! They are the ultimate toy!!

I mean really a Europa and a Mill?!?! You found my heaven.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2023, 10:12:55 AM »
Seriously cool scores all around. Congrats!
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2023, 04:11:20 PM »
Seriously cool scores all around. Congrats!

X2 that .
Dakazman

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2023, 09:52:56 PM »
ANILAM, so I guess you will be joining the Practical Machinist forum for help with that.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,July 20, 2023, 08:00:50 AM »
I've visited the Practical Machinist forum several times in the past. I'll be joining once I get the mill powered up and assess what I have. The VFD will arrive this Friday. 

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,August 08, 2023, 06:49:31 AM »
That is a seriously beautiful piece of kit.  And a perfect OEM frame?  I want to be standing next to you when they drop the big one...lol.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.