Author Topic: Reverse Detent.......365 box.  (Read 742 times)

Offline TCs Euro

Reverse Detent.......365 box.
« on: Monday,September 26, 2022, 01:41:01 PM »
Hi All,

Does anyone make an original looking reverse detent kit..... Mine is completely missing. Or are they really not that good...?

I did read the thread about a sleeve that you lift on the gear lever which sounds great, and will probably go down that route if I can't find an original one.

Also are rear covers (fifth gear and speedo) available...... ?

Thanks for your help,

Jay
'73 Twin Cam Special, Midnight Blue, 2nd owner, 129K Miles...

Offline BDA

Re: Reverse Detent.......365 box.
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 26, 2022, 03:37:16 PM »
I believe r.d. has them.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,September 27, 2022, 12:15:47 AM »
I made one out of ally, with a spring and 1/2" ballbearing.

Not too difficult.

Offline TCs Euro

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,September 27, 2022, 12:57:44 AM »
I don't think Rd have any. Are there any drawings/dimensions available of the detent spring/ball bearing housing and actual sprocket part that moves the ball bearing?

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 28, 2022, 09:10:50 AM »
I believe r.d. has them.

He has the covers...but I think the OP was talking about the internal mechanism that Renault used (which exists except for the ball and spring and mounted inside the rear cover rather than outside as Lotus modified it.)

IIRC, Peter Boediker was the one that repopped them, but that was back in '15.  I like the idea, but don't have the machine shop skills to reproduce.  It does put a lot less strain on the shift linkages...and a pull-up gate to get into reverse is the same as I had in my esprit...so, it's not a stretch.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline TCs Euro

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,October 23, 2022, 05:20:30 AM »
Just to follow up....

I have made the bits I need, hopefully they will fit, haven't tried them as yet as the car is still miles from home at the moment. As soon as I do I will post some dimensions.

Spring and ball bearing are off the shelf.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,December 31, 2022, 10:22:48 AM »
That's impressive TCs Euro - I hope it fits.
I've never totally understood why Lotus removed the original internal arrangement from within the box and replaced it with this. I I can only assume it has something to do with the weight and "inertia" of the lotus gear linkage arrangement. I managed to track down duplicates (on this forum) of the internal Renault components and I intend to use these (they are installed externally anyway), in conjunction with a reverse gear safety "lock out" arrangement at the gear lever.
Don't know if it all works yet but members who have done it claim "all good"   :confused:
Its a well discussed and documented subject on this forum going back some years and well worth finding.   
I'll post when I've done mine.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,December 31, 2022, 10:36:36 AM »
If you have a spare detent cam, you might want to modify the 5th gear “ear” to make it a little easier to get into 5th. My memory was that getting into 5th took way too much effort.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,December 31, 2022, 11:22:37 AM »
Years ago, I modified the 5th ear, and cut a bit from the detent spring. It did make shifting easier. But, I cut too much from the spring; sometimes it was a bit too easy to shift into 5th or reverse.

Now I have Peter’s internal, original Renault parts and a reverse lockout gate. But the car is still in pieces, so I haven’t tried it all.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday,January 01, 2023, 12:55:15 AM »
Just to follow up....

I have made the bits I need, hopefully they will fit, haven't tried them as yet as the car is still miles from home at the moment. As soon as I do I will post some dimensions.

Spring and ball bearing are off the shelf.

Very similar to what I had to do, but I had a pattern from another gearbox to copy, so it was easier.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,January 01, 2023, 03:29:52 AM »
If you have a spare detent cam, you might want to modify the 5th gear “ear” to make it a little easier to get into 5th. My memory was that getting into 5th took way too much effort.

Hi BDA - Are you referring to the "Lotus Revision" arrangement as shown in this picture - although you can't see what I believe you refer to as the 2 "ears". Correct?

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,January 01, 2023, 10:08:34 AM »
I think you understand what I’m talking about but in case you have any confusion or another reader doesn’t understand…

Look at TCs Euro’s picture. The detent cam has two ears where one pushes the detent ball when going into reverse and the other when going into 5th. Nobody wants to get into reverse by accident so I’d leave that ear alone, but when I had my 365 I always thought it took too much effort to get into 5th. If I had kept my 365, I would get a spare cam so if I really screwed one up, I could at least o back to where I was. Then I would file down the 5th gear ear a little at a time till it would be a little less difficult to get into 5th. If I had done it back then, I might have filed the 5th gear off because I didn’t appreciate its purpose - I didn’t realize it helps you know where you are in the shift pattern. In my C-class Mercedes, there is apparently a spring mechanism that “centers” the gear change lever. I believe the detent cam is designed to perform a similar function.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #12 on: Monday,January 02, 2023, 02:35:08 AM »
I think you understand what I’m talking about but in case you have any confusion or another reader doesn’t understand…
I must be in the "another reader who doesn't understand" group ......  :FUNNY:
Got it now - makes sense what you did and why.

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Monday,January 02, 2023, 10:12:58 AM »
Just so everybody knows, I didn't do it. I replaced my 365 with an NG3 so I don't have to worry about it but it's what I would do if I had a 365 and a spare detent cam to use should I mess up a good one.

I seem to remember that r.d. enterprises used to carry them. I checked on Lotus Supplies', SJ Sportscar's, and Kelvedon's websites and didn't see any. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to make your own if ends up they are now made of unobtanium.

Offline TCs Euro

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,January 07, 2023, 02:41:39 AM »
Update.... I have done a couple of hundred miles on the new gearbox dedent gubbins I have made. Reverse is still a little easy to get in, 5th is about right. My first thought is the spring rate isn't strong enough perhaps, or maybe the fork is located incorrectly. When it all goes right it feels pretty good, and the car feels quick, responsive and handles well.

I do like the sound of the gear lever lockout for reverse, which can sit under the gaiter and not be seen, extra protection and a bit more relaxing to drive as you know it's defo not going into Reverse.
« Last Edit: Saturday,January 07, 2023, 02:45:53 AM by TCs Euro »