Author Topic: Gearbox selection issues  (Read 1026 times)

Offline TCs Euro

Gearbox selection issues
« on: Monday,July 04, 2022, 02:39:05 PM »
Hi all,

I just wanted to share some pictures of what I have gearbox wise to fathom out if it is normal or ..... well.. bodged.

I am the new owner of a '73 TC Special so a 365 box.

There has been some welding done to the rear of the box.
A screw which is undone at an odd angle.
Sealant around speedo cable... and various oil leaks.
Gear selection is extremely hard, it is undrivable as it is.

Are there any recommended kits to improve the gear selection?

I am in the N.Devon area of UK, if there is anyone close by....

Many thanks, Jay.
« Last Edit: Thursday,August 11, 2022, 05:15:08 AM by TCs Euro »
'73 Twin Cam Special, Midnight Blue, 2nd owner, 129K Miles...

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Re: Gearbox section issues
« Reply #1 on: Monday,July 04, 2022, 03:27:32 PM »
Hi Jay,

:Welcome:

It looks like the external reverse/fifth gear detent has been removed, which will make getting into 2nd without finding reverse "challenging".  You may need to fit a reverse lockout mechanism on the gear lever. Instructions are available on this site. Fifth gear detent was in the Renault box, but not used by Lotus. You can add it back by fitting a ball bearing and a spring (I think that's all).

First check on gearchange is to make sure all the linkage is tight.
(i) Can you rotate gear lever on its axis at all? There shouldn't  be any rotation. The standard nylon "top hat" bushes wear/disintegrate. SJSportscars do brass replacements which are much better.
(ii) Both the Bush and the joint in the linkage where it fastens to the rear bell housing can wear. Check they are OK.
(iii) The universal joint in the rear section where just before it joins the gearbox can also wear. Replacement joints for refurb are available.
(iv) There should be a roll pin holding the linkage to the selector shaft on the gearbox. It looks like it's been replaced with a bolt. That should be OK if the fitting has been cut so it can compress onto the shaft. It's designed to stop axial rotation using the splines on the shaft and forward/backward movement relative to the shaft with the roll pin.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,July 04, 2022, 04:58:59 PM »
 :Welcome:  TCs Euro!!

Sorry I can’t help you with your tranny question but it looks like SilverBeast has got you covered. At least I can welcome you to the forum! We’d love to see more pictures of your baby!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #3 on: Monday,July 04, 2022, 06:51:57 PM »
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 06:18:21 AM »
We’d love to see more pictures of your baby!

For clarity, I'm pretty sure BDA means your Europa, not the one in your profile pic!

I also second the pictures request.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 07:05:08 AM »
The bolt at an angle is a metric bolt that holds the speedo cable in place. It is normally at a strange angle, 9mm head if I remember correctly.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 07:06:42 AM »
 ;D SilverBeast is correct. I was referring to your Europa but since this is a family friendly forum, pictures of your future Lotus driver preparing for that future would be welcome too, I think!

Offline TCs Euro

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 12:56:11 PM »
Great replies, thanks so much, very helpful.

For a moment I thought you wanted a picture of my Tranny, different forum perhaps...

The sealant around the speedo cable can't be normal though can it....?
The gear lever is a bit floppy and falls to the right, it does rotate as well. There is play on the bell housing attachment, the rod end bearing seems ok but the sleeve bit that attaches to the gearbox is loose.
As soon as I get it on my single post ramp, I can go though the linkage in the tunnel. A single poster doesn't suit a Europa and don't fancy jacking it on the fibre glass.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 02:32:21 PM by TCs Euro »

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 02:59:32 PM »
If it's a standard chassis you can't get at the linkage in the tunnel from underneath. You have to do everything via the oval hole under the armrest. You will need to remove the cenre console first. The two bolts that hold the heater/choke bracket and two screws under the ashtray.  Remove gear lever knob. The it lifts off.

If you detatch the linkage from the back of the gearbox and the bell housing, you can remove the gear lever knob and the 4 nuts that hold the gear lever and drop it into the tunnel. You can then pull it back far enough to change/replace the top hats while it's still in the tunnel. Wrap the gear lever in insulation tape, or rubber tubing to prevent it getting scraped (I didn't).

This link has a picture of the lever in the tunnel http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4631.0

Tip: Tie strings to your spanners so you can retrieve them easily when you drop them I to the tunnel. Do the same to support the gear linkage with tie wraps round a bar/spanner/screwdriver that spans the hole in the tunnel. It means you can support it at a comfortable (ish) height and it won't move around as much.

You can support the car on the fibreglass. I used plyboard spreader plates approx 8 to 12" square and supported it on  axle stands under the jacking points (just behind front wheels and in just front of the back wheels). You want to be supporting it on the flat section just behind the where the vertical part of the arch joins the horizontal to minimise flex in the horizontal glass. Certified Lotus used a 2 pillar lift in the same places I believe on his epic rebuild thread.

Offline TCs Euro

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 03:30:54 PM »
Thanks again SB,

I have a space frame chassis from spyder. I've taken off the centre console, arm rest, ashtray etc, but still couldn't get into it at the time as 10mm rubber sound proofing is stuck over the hole. When I have more time I will remove the carpet and sound deadening panels. I can see the linkage from underneath(just) albeit obscured by hose and cables, my battery has been re-sited to the front.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 03:45:33 PM »
I have a space frame chassis from spyder.

That should make it a little easier.

Here's a link to the info about the reverse gear lockout and internal 5th gear detent- no gearbox disassembly required.
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=127.0

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 04:20:17 PM »
Great replies, thanks so much, very helpful.

For a moment I thought you wanted a picture of my Tranny, different forum perhaps...

The sealant around the speedo cable can't be normal though can it....?
The gear lever is a bit floppy and falls to the right, it does rotate as well. There is play on the bell housing attachment, the rod end bearing seems ok but the sleeve bit that attaches to the gearbox is loose.
As soon as I get it on my single post ramp, I can go though the linkage in the tunnel. A single poster doesn't suit a Europa and don't fancy jacking it on the fibre glass.

May I say,  BEAUTIFUL CAR

Dakazman

Offline TCs Euro

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 11:36:38 PM »
I'll check that link out Sliver Beast, looks good.

Thanks Dakazman, but it needs work.... ;D.

Wiring loom is on the hit list too, when the engine idles the tail lights come on then go out when you rev it.....

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #13 on: Thursday,July 07, 2022, 10:06:25 AM »
Congrats on your Europa purchase, and welcome to the forum.  :beerchug:

Good luck with sorting your issues. Silver Beast has lots of good info to get you started. The sealant on the speedo drive is not pretty, but mine leaks at that point (and many others) and I've been unable to sort it completely. I took the thing apart and cleaned it and fitted a new o-ring, but leaking resumed a couple weeks later. I'm guessing the OP did the same, got fed up and slathered on the sealant.

Wiring loom is on the hit list too, when the engine idles the tail lights come on then go out when you rev it.....
Oh, that's a new one... even for a Lotus.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline TCs Euro

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,July 09, 2022, 02:15:34 AM »
Thanks Bainford.

Looks like a great forum full of advice and info.

Yes the wiring is well..... shite, with spade connectors snapping and domestic type cable used in places, remarkably most things work. The battery has been re-sited to the front, is this a common modification?