Author Topic: 365 Removal  (Read 379 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
365 Removal
« on: Wednesday,May 25, 2022, 10:38:11 AM »
Gotten some good side comments about removing the 365 from my TCS.  But, putting this out there...

Basically, it says (eliminating the stuff at the beginning...):

Raise the rear of the car and place a stand beneath each side of the chassis at the rear.
Remove the rear road wheels.
Disconnect the clutch cable from the lever at the bell housing.
Remove the silencer (muffler) assembly.
Remove the bolts securing the silencer (muffler) mounting bracket to the gearbox.
Unscrew the bolts retaining the lower suspension links to the gearbox bracket, allowing the links to drop clear.
Drive the roll pins from the inner universal joints on the transmission shafts by means of a drift (Part No. X046F6171Z)
  (I have a set of roll pin drivers...)
Free the drive shafts from the gearbox output shafts by withdrawing them outwards from their splines noting the spacers and shims fitted on the output shafts.
Remove the starter motor.
Place a jack under the rear of the gearbox.
Remove the reverse indent cover.
Remove the two bolts from the rear cross member, lower the gearbox, and remove the jack.
Remove the bolts from the clutch housing, and pull the gearbox rearwards until clear of the clutch shaft.

Basically, disconnect everything, pull back.  Is there enough space to pull out and back?  Would seem that it's going to tilt the engine back...anything I should be aware of?  Or is it just easier to go even further and drain the coolant, strip down the engine to a long block, and pull together?

Just spitballing; I like to have a strategy before diving in.  (pulling the whole lump would let me attack all the aged cooling hoses, leaky gaskets and seals and clean up the back end of 50 years of spooge.

Of course, this means I would not be driving her until the end of the summer.  But that's ok.  I stripped down 693R and built up from a bare frame in 5 months back in 07...so, I don't waste time thinking about how long...just how well I can get the job done.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline BDA

Re: 365 Removal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2022, 10:57:38 AM »
That looks like a pretty complete check list. It's been a long time since I took the 365 out of my car but I don't recall any big issues so it must have been pretty straightforward - it would have had to have been since I was even stupider then than I am now!

I don't remember if I took the engine and tranny out at the same time when I took my car apart. Doing that may be a bit easier than doing them one at a time.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2022, 11:35:56 AM »
I don't remove the reverse indent cover.

Remove alternator.

Remove gearchange central support.

Remove speedo cable.

Remove reverse switch electrical connections.

Loosen clips to hose from water pump to coolant tube to radiator.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2022, 04:16:51 PM »
***DELETIA***

Loosen clips to hose from water pump to coolant tube to radiator.

Drain coolant?  That has me stumped...if I pull the  hose...going to spill?  I have no problem putting a catch basin under, but want to be prepared...lol.

That's why I was thinking...if I'm that far along...pulling the engine is a couple more hours work to do it as one piece, and separate once out of the car.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 25, 2022, 04:19:04 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,May 26, 2022, 12:11:34 AM »
I would be surprised if you lose more than a cupful of coolant when the hose comes off the water pump.

I clean up the pump output tube, and put grease around it to help get the hose back on when the gearbox is bolted back in place and the engine is sitting in its correct position.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,May 26, 2022, 04:24:47 AM »
I would be surprised if you lose more than a cupful of coolant when the hose comes off the water pump.

I clean up the pump output tube, and put grease around it to help get the hose back on when the gearbox is bolted back in place and the engine is sitting in its correct position.

I'll hold you to that ... ;) 

In other news...Nick at Lotus-supplies sent an email that my replacement seat upholstery is being shipped via fedex.  Yay.  Covid, backlog, etc all conspired to delay it 3 months. But, supposedly...shipping tomorrow!
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA