Author Topic: Starting with clutch replacement  (Read 481 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Starting with clutch replacement
« on: Monday,May 16, 2022, 08:42:45 AM »
couple questions (TCS, 1973/4, 365 box):

1. I'm replacing release bearing.  What kind of fit is it in the carrier..and how is the carrier fit to the fork?  In other words, to replace the bearing, how far do I have to pull down; how hard is the bearing (#6 on page QA) fit into the carrier (#5)?  If it is more than 'pull it out', what have folks found that works?  Or am I overthinking this?

2. Once I get it all down...assume clean up the flywheel with 400/600 and brake cleaner to get a good surface?  Normal process I've used in the past; want to get almost the same texture on the face as a brake disk...no grease, oil, rust..and check for grooving or discoloration.

3. Assume lightly grease splines on input shaft.  Have new spirol pins.  Be careful not to loose the shims. 

4. have the proper centering tool (same one as the S2 used), torque wrenches, sockets, etc.  So, good with tools.

5. Removing the box in situ.  Any hints or gotchas?  Manual is pretty lean on exactly how...a bunch of put on stands, remove stuff, unpin drive shaft (I'll mark relative positions so it theoretically goes back same way...), unbolt starter, drop.  It's a Lotus...can't be that easy; can you really pull it all the way out with the engine remaining in the frame?

Insights welcome. 
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Starting with clutch replacement
« Reply #1 on: Monday,May 16, 2022, 10:22:19 AM »
1) When you tilt the engine to drop the gearbox, the front hose will come off the water pump. Probably best to loosen the clips to let it come off easily. Grease the hose both ends to make re-fitting easier.

2) To get the gearbox input shaft to slide through the clutch plate and into the crank spigot bearing, I use 2 x 4" long 3/8" UNC bolts in the top two holes to line up the gearbox with the block. Then the gearbox should slide in easier. 

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #2 on: Monday,May 16, 2022, 11:38:36 AM »
1) When you tilt the engine to drop the gearbox, the front hose will come off the water pump. Probably best to loosen the clips to let it come off easily. Grease the hose both ends to make re-fitting easier.

2) To get the gearbox input shaft to slide through the clutch plate and into the crank spigot bearing, I use 2 x 4" long 3/8" UNC bolts in the top two holes to line up the gearbox with the block. Then the gearbox should slide in easier. 

1: guess that means draining the coolant.  Check.

2. good idea

Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Monday,May 16, 2022, 01:29:36 PM »

1: guess that means draining the coolant.  Check.

/quote]

Just top it up. Hardly any comes out.

Offline jlmullen2

« Reply #4 on: Monday,May 16, 2022, 02:38:47 PM »
Brian - I replaced the release bearing on my 352 box recently. Not too difficult once you have the transmission out and accessible. The release  sits in a carrier which is held in place on the cross shaft. A wire spring holds the bearing holder in place. The spring hooks around the rear of the bearing holder. You need to pull the spring away from one side of the holder then the tension of the spring is released, allowing the holder to be free of the shaft. The bearing is a press fit into the holder. If you have a press and feel confident, you could probably press it out yourself. I don't have a press so had a machine shop press out the old bearing and press in the new one. I also lightly lubricated the shaft. The drawing on Section Q of the parts manual is pretty clear on what it looks like.

Larry
Larry Mullen
73 Europa TC Special
97 Saleen 281
04 Subaru WRX

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #5 on: Monday,May 16, 2022, 02:47:44 PM »
Brian - I replaced the release bearing on my 352 box recently. Not too difficult once you have the transmission out and accessible. The release  sits in a carrier which is held in place on the cross shaft. A wire spring holds the bearing holder in place. The spring hooks around the rear of the bearing holder. You need to pull the spring away from one side of the holder then the tension of the spring is released, allowing the holder to be free of the shaft. The bearing is a press fit into the holder. If you have a press and feel confident, you could probably press it out yourself. I don't have a press so had a machine shop press out the old bearing and press in the new one. I also lightly lubricated the shaft. The drawing on Section Q of the parts manual is pretty clear on what it looks like.

Larry

thanks Larry; that clears that up...the spring holds the carrier on...I have a shop down the block; may ask (as a favor or pay for the half hour labor?) if they'd press off and on.  The current bearing is not making noise, but i consider it false economy to not change it out while the thing is apart.  If not...I have a buddy in NJ who would probably humor me at his shop...

Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA