Author Topic: Eliminating the TC Brake Boosters  (Read 721 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Eliminating the TC Brake Boosters
« on: Sunday,May 15, 2022, 12:08:20 PM »

I've written up a quick short blurb on how I eliminated my brake booster on my TCS. If anyone sees any errors or points of confusion please let me know. Also if anyone has another method I haven't thought, post a comment.

Joji Tokumoto

Overview of the Europa brake hydraulics

Before removing the brake lines from the booster, it would be best to mark and tag the lines to and from the boosters both from the PDWV and to the connections at the “manifold “(the collection of fittings on the top left frame rail) as front brake circuit or rear brake circuit. I’ve also included the federal dual brake system diagram for reference, Pic 1. It has been colorized to make it easier to follow the convoluted mess. Since the replacement master cylinders are usually single bore 0.70” 0r 0.75”, it may not matter if the connections are swapped. However convention should be followed by maintaining the stock configuration.The only exceptions are if using the S2 tandem master cylinder. Stock configuration must be maintained.

Following the diagram, this is the flow path of the front and rear brake circuits from the master cylinder, to the boosters and back to the front and rear brakes. The front circuit has been colored in RED and the rear in Yellow.

The brake lines from the master cylinder are continuous until they terminate at the area I call  the “manifold” on the top of the left frame rail where the lines transition to two female tube nuts coupled by a double male connection. At this point determine the lines for front and rear brake circuits. On my TCS the two bottom lines came from my master cylinder. Physically tracing the lines determined that the second line from the bottom was the front circuit and the bottom line was the rear circuit, Pic 2.  Both lines continue to the PDWV, Pic 3.

At the PDWV, the lines for the front circuit enter the rear port at the bottom of the PDWV and the rear circuit enters the front port. Both lines exit the respective top ports of the PDWV and connect to the boosters above. The bottom servo serves the front brake circuit and the top servo, the rear brake circuit, Pic 4.. The PDWV maintains the difference in thread size for front and rear brake circuits, ⅜-24” threads for the front port (rear circuit) and 7/16-20” threads for the rear port (front circuit).

The outputs from both servos return to the “manifold” on the left frame rail. The line for the rear brakes connects to a four way junction where the lines split up to supply the rear brake drums and a brake light. The front line connects to a double male coupler where the line continues to the front of the car to supply the front calipers via a three way junction on the front “T“ section of the chassis, Pic 2.

Running the jumpers:

There are a couple of ways of running the bypass jumpers, either keep the PDWV in the system or totally get rid of it. Although I decided to keep mine and the directions are for this method, I’ll also describe how I would run bypass jumpers with the PDWV removed.

In bypassing the boosters, the brake lines exiting top ports of the PDWV to the boosters and the lines exiting the boosters to the “manifold” are disconnected and removed .Measure, cut and bend enough tubing to reach from the PDWV ports to the respective line connections for the front and rear brake lines at the “manifold”. As stated in the intro above, the line from the front port of the PDWV connects to the rear brake four way junction while the rear port connects to the single line connector going to the front of the car, Pics 5,6,7..

The hardware required are:
(1) male tube nut, 3/8-24 with a bubble flare on the PDWV end
(1) male tube nut, 7/16-20” with a bubble flare on the PDWV end
(1) female tube nut, ⅜-24 with a double/inverse flare on the “manifold” end
(1) male tube nut, ⅜-24” with bubble flare on “Manifold” end
Appropriate lengths of 3/16” Cunifer or steel brake tubing

Keeping the PDWV in my view makes for a neater looking engine layout and arguably maintains the brake failure warning light feature. Others however may prefer to bin it for simplicity and fewer complications. I see a couple of ways of doing it this way. First way is to run jumpers from the couplings on the incoming front and rear circuits directly to the outgoing front and rear circuits on the “manifold”, Pic 8. If using jumpers at the “manifold”, the front brake circuit jumper will require two ⅜-24” female tube nuts. The 3/16” tube on both ends will need to have a double/inverse flare to mate with the male couplers in the existing line. The rear brake circuit jumper will require one ⅜-24” female tube nut with a double/inverse flare on the existing male coupler end and a  ⅜-24” male tube nut with a bubble flare on the four way junction end. I would recommend making the jumpers long enough to allow a gentle bend on the tubing without kinking.

The second way is to connect the fittings at the PDWV with unions, Pic 9,10. This may be the easier option if removing the PDWV. The original fittings and lines use bubble flares at the PDWV. Ensure that the unions also use bubble flares. The rear brake lines uses the ⅜-24” fittings. The front brake lines unfortunately use the 7/16-20” fittings at the PDWV. Finding unions using 7/16-20” fittings for 3/16” lines may be difficult. If unable to locate the correct union, the only option may be to convert the front brake line circuit to and from the union to ⅜-24” fittings with new brake lines.

Final thoughts. I traced the lines from the master cylinder back to the rear "manifold", the PDWV, boosters and back to the "manifold" on my TCS and I'm fairly confident that I did not cross lines but who is to say that I didn't make a mistake. I really urge anyone doing this modification to trace the lines back personally to ensure that the info on this write up is accurate.

Please take extreme care when modifying the brake lines. When forming flares, use the proper tools to ensure that the cuts are straight and square and that the ends are  deburred properly. Doing that and using a good quality flare tool should allow you to make acceptable flares. Also please make sure that you are using the proper flare for the proper application, bubble vs double/inverse For fittings and cunifer brake lines RD Enterprises and Fedhill USA are good places to check. For flaring tools, a good quality tool and an “on car” flaring tool sold by several vendors is the only way to go. I used the one sold by Eastwood although Amazon has several similar ones.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-on-car-flaring-tool-for-3-16-tubing.html

Pic 1, Brakes hydraulics diagram
Pic 2, Brake line “Manifold”
Pic 2, Brake line “Manifold”
Pic 4, Boosters
Pic 5, Jumpers at the PDWV
Pic 6, Jumpers installation at “Manifold”
Pic 7, overall view
Pic 8, jumpers at “Manifold”
Pic 9, jumper at PDWV using unions
Pic 10, union at PDWV
Pic 11, Union at PDWV
Pic 12, Union fitting

Offline TurboFource

Re: Eliminating the TC Brake Boosters
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,May 15, 2022, 03:53:43 PM »
Nice write up Joji!

I do not feel this was a case of "Simplify" on the part of Lotus so I did "Simplify" by removing the majority
of this stuff, of course it was easy with the body off the chassis!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #2 on: Monday,May 16, 2022, 12:55:45 PM »
thank you very much for the detailed response...now to do it

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #3 on: Monday,May 16, 2022, 03:07:58 PM »
thank you very much for the detailed response...now to do it

Excellent description.  Practice on some scrap 3/16 line so you get the feel of it.  It's doable; the brass fittings can strip, so use good ones (ie the amazon cheapies will fail...I went through 5 couplings until I got smart and went to the local NAPA store and got decent quality fittings).  First time through, took a couple hours and choice anglo-saxon metaphors...when I got all the right parts...took longer to bend the pipes than to flare and fit. 

And it's easier when the lump is out.  I did mine bent over the rear quarter and paid for it at the chiropractor over a couple visits...lol.

Oh, yeah, when you go to bleed the system with all the spaghetti in place, remember that the furthest wheel is actually the front left.  Front left, front right, rear right, rear left in terms of distance from the MC.  I'm a big fan of the Eezbleed kit...did a complete bleed out and flush of the system in a half hour (and that included 3x around the car in order to ensure that the air was gone, and the old fluid was flushed.)  Nice hard pedal now, with about 1" of throw.
« Last Edit: Monday,May 16, 2022, 03:14:09 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline cazman

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 07, 2022, 04:50:59 PM »
This is a nice description. I just found it. Thanks.

However, it seems that people also change the master cylinder to get a different diameter rod. Is this the case here?
1973 Europa TCS

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,September 07, 2022, 04:57:51 PM »
It's not the rod but the size of the M/C cylinder. Without boosters, it will require more force to get the same brake effect so it is common to change the diameter of the M/C to get more similar pressure at the brakes. I THINK the original TCS M/C is 0.75" D and the usual replacement is 0.7" D but don't quote me!

Offline cazman

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,September 07, 2022, 05:15:38 PM »
Got it. thanks
1973 Europa TCS

Offline Clifton

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,September 08, 2022, 01:45:36 PM »
You can redrill the hole in the pedal arm to change the pedal ratio. It helps but givbe a little more travel, same as a smaller MC would.