Author Topic: Car and driver 2022 lotus Emira  (Read 265 times)

Offline dakazman

Car and driver 2022 lotus Emira
« on: Wednesday,March 16, 2022, 05:55:31 PM »

Offline BDA

Re: Car and driver 2022 lotus Emira
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2022, 07:52:49 PM »
Jensen Button is seems to have had something to do with the development of the Emira. I nice selling point!

It's also supposed to be the last gasoline powered Lotus. Get 'em while they're hot!!!

Offline GavinT

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2022, 08:24:53 PM »
It's also supposed to be the last gasoline powered Lotus.

They'll come to their senses when the numbers don't add up.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2022, 08:29:10 PM »
Yeah, I think so too!

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2022, 08:46:09 PM »
Where do I place my bet that Lotus will continue with ICE engines, unless they commit corporate Seppuku?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2022, 11:24:06 PM »
Strangely enough, I'm not convinced that Lotus will continue with ICE cars, I think they'll go electric.

At the moment in the UK there's no significant infrastructure for electric cars but even so, they are selling. Mainly to folks like myself who don't do big mileages, just local trips shopping, going out, etc, for which electric cars are fine because you charge at home and that's enough for your day.  And generally speaking most Lotus cars over here aren't high milers.

Only a couple of years ago I would never have considered electric but now, well,  I have looked at options for the daily shopping trolley the next time we change. (of course with the recent rise in electricity over here that might change  ;)  )

Despite our natural preference for engine noise, electric performance can be excellent and because Lotus don't sell that many cars a "green" car with the same sort of performance would be just the thing for another Lotus USP. 

Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,March 17, 2022, 07:38:59 AM »

It's also supposed to be the last gasoline powered Lotus. Get 'em while they're hot!!

To be honest, I'm having a hard time getting excited about the Emira. I haven't read the road test linked above, or any other trade publication road test, so perhaps my perspective is skewed. But a much larger, much heavier Lotus with improved NVH (which, to my mind, means driver further isolated from the road), and fitted with an automatic transmission, doesn't seem like progress in the right direction for the company. It's a nice car with very impressive engineering, but that doesn't necessarily translate to the ultimate, uncompromised driving machine.

They will likely sell a lot of them, and I hope they do. I may be quite out of line with these comments, but for my money, it's not what I look for in a Lotus.

Hhmmm... I think curmudgeonism is upon me.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Sunday,September 24, 2023, 11:40:43 PM »
I displayed my 1972 red TC 2420R at a classic car show in my local town in Norfolk yesterday.

Two Lotus employees chatted to me.

One said that he had only seen 3 Evijas in total (2000BHP and £2m), and he thought the Emira was the best looking Lotus he had ever seen. He has been working there since 1978.

Another works making the chassis for the Emira. They are working 2 shifts a day, so presumably production has doubled to meet demand.

Another local chap can up to me and gave me his Europa workshop manual. He had an S2 ages ago, the book was gathering dust at home, he saw my car, and went back home to get it and give me it for free.

The only other Lotus being displayed were an Elite with the round headlights, and a FWD Elan.