Author Topic: Update on 72 Europa Brake Problems  (Read 172 times)

Offline marks

Update on 72 Europa Brake Problems
« on: Friday,October 23, 2020, 05:40:55 PM »
After soaking my master brake master cylinder to free it up; I found that there was a burr in the front cylinder, which we honed out to fix it.  I also found that the rotors were too thick for the pads.  I sanded down the pads and got the passenger side to work; and I am tweeking the driver's side.  I blead all four brakes and I have decent brake pressure; however, I now have the red brake light on (advice).  I am working my way to see if the servos work okay (Any advice on this also).  I also installed the new windshield with the repop mouldings; and that was a real chore.  Is there a specification of where the rearview mirror is to be located?  I appreciate all the help that I have received on this board! Sincerely,  Mark

Offline jbcollier

Re: Update on 72 Europa Brake Problems
« Reply #1 on: Friday,October 23, 2020, 07:02:39 PM »
The burr would have been created due to wear.  Honing the cylinder just made the whole bore bigger to match the wear.  This is not good.  It may "work" right now but, for how long?

Please, for your and other's safety, get a new one!

Rearview mirror goes between the two sun visors.  You'll find there is not much side to side variation possible.  Height is set by what gives you the best view out the back.  Bear in mind that it's not so low as you bang your head on it when you enter.

The brake light is turned on by either a level sensor in the reservoir cap, or the brake shuttle valve with a plastic switch in the centre of the valve.  If your car has a brake shuttle valve, unscrew the switch and use a small screwdriver to centre the valve.  It's centred when the high spot is centred.  Screw the switch back in and the light should be off.

Offline marks

Re: Update on 72 Europa Brake Problems
« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 23, 2020, 09:04:30 PM »
Thank you very much for the information!