Author Topic: I.D. Brake parts?  (Read 331 times)

Offline Nisswa Collision

• Gordon Nachbar Restoration, Nisswa Collision & Restoration
I.D. Brake parts?
« on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 05:54:30 PM »
Could somebody identify these 2 brake parts that came with my TC but don't fit it. The caliper is too narrow to fit over my disc.

Offline jbcollier

Re: I.D. Brake parts?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 08:23:43 PM »
The wheel cylinder is a Unipart GWC1208.  Bore is 3/4".  Fits S1/2 and TC.

Can't clearly make out the numbers on the caliper.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 10:58:25 PM »
The caliper looks like the basic Girling Type 14 model which is OEM fitment but it's hard to tell without a scale or detailed photo.  If the slot between the two halves is too small to fit your disc you might have a modified brake system.  The type 14 fits the thinnest disc from the period, typically 9.5-10mm thick depending on source whereas the visually similar type 16 caliper has a wider slot for 13mm discs.  The Type 16 is much bigger and heavier though, but hard to tell without a ruler/scale on the photo.

The details of OEM stuff are;

Discs:
Elan, Europa, Spitfire, Herald
Diameter 232mm, Thickness 10mm, Height (from hub) 27mm

Elan +2, GT6 Vitesse (2L)
Diameter 245mm, Thickness 13mm, Height (from hub) 28mm

Brake Calipers:
Type 12 & 14 as fitted to Herald, Spitfire, Elan, Europa
48mm diameter pistons
3.25" (82mm) bolt centers on mounting lugs

Type 16 as fitted to GT6 & 2L Vitesse models
54mm diameter pistons
3.5" (88mm) bolt centers on mounting lugs

To confuse matters even further, there were larger calipers as fitted to some Ford cars which have Type 16 pistons but 82mm mounting centers and the 232mm discs.
Also there's a Triumph TR7 front caliper which looks similar but has a larger piston but no details.

I'd measure up the caliper and see where it fits in relation to the above. Then look at the width of the discs you have fitted on the car and we might be able to work something out.

Brian

Offline Nisswa Collision

• Gordon Nachbar Restoration, Nisswa Collision & Restoration
« Reply #3 on: Friday,October 23, 2020, 04:22:38 PM »
I'm never quite sure which numbers mean anything on these calipers. For example: On the mounting flange side, all of the numbers appear to be cast in, with a logo that to me looks like a VW emblem without the circle followed by 18 (VW27 on the other side) and the number 64327863 (I assume casting number) on the mounting lugs in raised fashion. On the cylinder part it says 6L3  (9L3 on the flip side) The only number identified is the patent number. The only stamping is the "R" on the outboard side that I guess is for "right side"
The slot measures 12mm and the mounting holes are near 82mm (3 1/4"). I'm still trying to determine what is on my car as the rear was upgraded to Special drums and no boosters. My discs measure a full 12+mm and my mounting bolts appear to be 3 1/2" My master has a wedge shaped resivor and is Girling. I have no use for the brake parts that don't fit my car but it's nice to know what they're for.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,October 23, 2020, 10:55:26 PM »
My discs measure a full 12+mm and my mounting bolts appear to be 3 1/2" My master has a wedge shaped resivor and is Girling. I have no use for the brake parts that don't fit my car but it's nice to know what they're for.

Going on those measurements, your car has the calipers/discs from the GT6 & Lotus Elan+2.  I fitted the same conversion to my 2 seat Elan a few years ago, it's about the limit for retaining the 13" steel wheels.  The combination gives lower pedal pressure with the standard master cylinder and I also removed the servo (booster) on the Elan.

With the Elan this mod improves the front/rear brake balance slightly but on the Europa it will increase front braking which is already much higher than the rear drums. You need a rear disc conversion next on the shopping list !   ;)

Brian