Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Padding between chassis and body

(1/4) > >>

buroz:
I have restarted my ground up restoration project after pausing it for >10 years.
I'm starting to get close to putting the body back on the chassis and I remember there was some form of padding between the body and chassis (down the central tunnel) to stop vibration. Is there something specific to use/people recommend?

4129R:
Be very careful not to put too thick a material on top of the metal chassis or the two bolts holding the seat belts into the centre tunnel will not line up, and you will end up drilling bigger holes through the oval bobbins cast into the shell, which is not ideal.

I used thin underfelt.

jbcollier:
The stock material absorbed moisture and promoted corrosion.  RD sells a closed-cell foam alternative that is much better suited to the application.

Fotog:
Since you've had, lets say... a little pause in your restoration,  you might not be so well informed of the parts sources.

RD is R.D. Enterprises in Pennsylvania, USA:  https://www.rdent.com/

I hope it all goes well.  These cars are a lot of fun to drive, for sure!

berni29:
Hi

I looked into this quite extensively for my plus 2 and ended up ordering the standard matting for both my cars. I will be spraying the lower portion with a light oil or similar in order to prevent water take up. There were quite a few potential negatives to using a modern alternative. I will also get the standard stuff for my Europa when the time comes.

All the best

Berni

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version